Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other WordPress Blog Blend Issue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    JoshWhite

Hey all,

I have an scenario that I have not encountered yet and I was curious if anyone had tackled it or knew of a way to address it.

There’s a web project I’ll be redesigning and the issue is that it’s a SUPER outdated version of ModX that’s running the main site, and then they have a separate blog set up in WordPress under the /blog/ URL. So for example, you’ll have http://websiteurl.com/blog/somekindofarticle

They are now looking to just bring the whole thing into WordPress since they already know how to use it for the blogging capability and they want the redesign to just be incorporated into it.

What happens to all the articles that are behind the “/blog/” url? Is there any way to maintain that part of the url for all future blog posts while the rest of the site is within just the standard pathway? Or is it better in the long run to just bring all the posts into the fold of the website and create some kind of htaccess redirect for anyone who has the old /blog/ urls?

TheDoc

You can keep the `/blog` prefix if you want so that all posts remain under that.

Alen
    Participant

Is the `/blog` root directory of WP install? or is it custom permalink structure?

You might not be able to get rid of it. Unless you point Apache to it as public facing folder. Then create the `/blog/%postname%/` structure. For everything else you can create custom post type and rewrite the URL slug. You can use a plugin for custom post types or you can create one yourself. see my comment here: https://css-tricks.com/forums/discussion/comment/104160/#Comment_104160

Alen
    Participant

And of course you could always export content, import it into clean WP install, then just use `.htaccess` to rewrite each `/blog/*` request to `/` but the problem is now you can’t have `/blog` as your API if the company actually has a blog… you could use a different name like `/journal` or `/out-blog`…

hope that help,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.