Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End WordPress Alternative

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    nosecreek

I’m looking for a lightweight alternative to wordpress. I want to host a simple blog on my site, but I want something that will take less than 2-3MB on my server. Does anyone have any experience with lightweight blog platforms that they could share?

Thanks!

JaredAM

Well, there is Drupal, it’s only about 3.5megs and it has blogging functionality built in. However, it’s not very friendly.

TheDoc

If you are looking specifically for blogging software, I have no idea why you wouldn’t want to use WordPress.

@JaredAM
    , I certainly wouldn’t call Drupal "lightweight".

You could try something like CushyCMS – http://www.cushycms.com/

nosecreek

My current web server has fairly low disk space and I don’t need all the features of WordPress – just basic blogging features. I know it’s possible to get this in a much smaller package, I’m just wondering what’s good. Some examples of this sort of software I have found:
    Wheatblog
    Chyrp

AshtonSanders
    Participant
    "JaredAM" wrote:
    Well, there is Drupal…

Haha, that is pretty funny. My Drupal site ended up being 70MB. (wholly bonzi. I had no idea it got that big. :o )

"nosecreek" wrote:
    My current web server has fairly low disk space…

Honestly, if you can’t fit WordPress, you better be getting your web server for free. I’ve seen $1 hosts with GIGs of space.

I haven’t heard of the other two programs you mentioned.

JaredAM

nosecreek, why not just use wordpress.org? You could create a free blog and if you must have the content on your own server, use the rss feed to bring in your content and display it as if it were original to that site. Then you could have images and whatnot.

"AshtonSanders" wrote:
    Haha, that is pretty funny. My Drupal site ended up being 70MB. (wholly bonzi. I had no idea it got that big. :o )

Snikies! What do you have installed?? I think the most I’ve ever used is ~30 megs.

AshtonSanders
    Participant
    "JaredAM" wrote:
    Snikies! What do you have installed?? I think the most I’ve ever used is ~30 megs.

I have no idea why it’s that big… It must be Ubercart + all of their product images…. I put the keys in their hand, and that’s what happened, so they may have just uploaded LOTS OF LARGE images…

Who knows.

nosecreek

Ok, I decided I am willing to upgrade my hosting to use WordPress, but I’m still not convinced it is the best solution. Ideally I would like something that I could just pop into my existing website. Something that would look kind of like this:

Code:

Or something like something similar. Basically, if I don’t have to create an entire theme to make it work…

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Oh yea, here’s a cute and lightweight CMS I found… http://grabaperch.com/ But it’s probably more than the cost of upgrading your account.

"nosecreek" wrote:
    Basically, if I don’t have to create an entire theme to make it work…

You don’t have to create a theme for WP. Just DL a free one. WordPress themes are pretty much just like you wrote, except most of them also have a sidebar.

This is a basic theme’s index.php page:

Code:

nosecreek

Hmmm, perhaps I misunderstand how WP templates work then. I downloaded some of the simplest templates I could find and was working on them. I was able to edit them to get close to looking like the rest of my site, but they seemed to be very complex… What does the <!– WordPress has it’s loop here –> part look like? Can you recommend any good tutorials on how to create a theme or a good basic (2 columns) theme to work off of?

Thanks for the Perch link BTW… looks very similar to a free cms I found and have been using on my sites: nc-cms. I often wonder why there aren’t more simple CMSs like these.

AshtonSanders
    Participant
    "nosecreek" wrote:
    What does the <!– WordPress has it’s loop here –> part look like? Can you recommend any good tutorials on how to create a theme or a good basic (2 columns) theme to work off of?

Sure:

Code:

“>

It’s really that first link of PHP which is the "loop" then the rest is HTML formatting for your pages/posts.
    It spits out a title and content (and if you’re logged in, it adds an edit link to easily edit a page).

There more things to add if you’d like: Tags, Categories, Author, Dateposted, etc. but that’s the basics.

nosecreek

Thanks for the help Ashton. I’ve got it nicely integrated with my site’s design now.

synn

How about habari ? it is also lightweight in comparision to wordpress. Also scnews is one good alternative.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.