Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Wood-texture-background: how big will ya go?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Edwin

I am working on a new design and it gots a wood-texture-background. The thing I am thinking about now is how big will I make it? I know got 2000x1200px, I think with that size I got most of the users. But on jpeg40 it’s still 100kb. What do you think that is the max. ‘allowed’ size in kb’s? At home I got a fast dsl-connection, but there are a lot of people who don’t have a superfast-connection yet. So summarized: how big may the background-image be? And what should be the maximum-files-size of a entire page?

2000×12000 :o and there isnt anyway u can have it repeat?

anyways for a background image I personnaly never go past the 20k limit.. Background images arent the only image u need to load.. It counts up rather nicely..

ThinkSoJoE

I’ve been running a site with a wood-texture background for nearly 5 years, and I’ve done it with the same image the entire time. It’s a 78x102px jpeg that’s only 2.17KB, it repeats, and it’s seamless. Not sure why you’d have to do a 2000x1200px image, that’s kind of ridiculous and at 100K, it’s going to kill your load time.

ThinkSoJoE

I haven’t updated in a while, and this is one of my older sites, so don’t mind the horrible design; but you can check it out at http://www.stupid5pin.net

There’s also a couple of wood textures used on my other site, http://www.boredwrestlingfan.com, but I have no idea where I got them from. I get where you’re coming from as far as not wanting the background to repeat, but it’s a background, most people probably wouldn’t notice the repeating.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.