Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Why margin settings in a contained section affect the containing section?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    spz1st
    Participant

Is this supposed to be the way? What’s the logic behind it?

Here is the url for a demo.

http://arvha.com/margin.html

shaneisme
    Participant

You’re looking for collapsing margins:

http://www.sitepoint.com/web-foundations/collapsing-margins/

spz1st
    Participant

I’m not sure if it’s the same issue. My case is about an outer box and an inner box (not two sibling boxes next to each other). If I set a margin for the inner box, I’d expect to see the margin around the inner box (don’t you expect so too?), not outside the outer box.

Senff
    Participant

That is explained under “Collapsing Margins Between Parent and Child Elements” in @shaneisme’s link above.

spz1st
    Participant

Thanks. I hadn’t read the further down. But I disagree with the author on that such behavior is often desirable. By default, the margins should be kept separate and a css type (say margin-collapse: collapse;) could be made available to collapse the margins if ever so desired (or just set the margin to 0 ). Though now you can have a border or padding to prevent margin collapse, it may not be desirable to have a border or padding no matter how thin it is (let alone that 1 pixel border might even destroy your overall layout as shown in my other examples). So again I propose to have a new css type (say margin-collapse: none;) to prevent the margin collapse.

shaneisme
    Participant

Join the W3C.

Power to the people.

spz1st
    Participant

Hope there’re W3C members here who may read my posts and forward my proposals to the committee for consideration.

The margin collapse issue’s not a big problem as the width/height issue. Now I know (thanks for the help I got here) that I can add a border (with the same color as the margin if so desired) to get exact what I want if needed. But with the width/height issue, sometimes (quite often) I just could not get exact what I wanted without using javascript. For example, if I have two divs laid next to each other horizontally. the width of the left div is set to, say 25% and the right one 75%. Now if I add a margin to one of them, the total width would exceed 100% and a scrollbar will be created (if I force the two divs still to be aligned next to each other horizontally) even though no content going beyond the edge of the window, making page viewers wonder why there’s a scrollbar for some white space on right. To prevent the scrollbar, I can reduce the percentage a little bit for one of the divs. But this will certainly result in the two divs not covering the page entirely except when the window happens to be at a certain width.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.