Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Why don’t employees hire talented people?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    StephBertha
    Participant

I have a question for all you employees out there. If you had the choice of hiring a person who is very talented vs. a person who is okay or just got out of college, who would you hire?

I’ve seen companies hire people who are not that good and I can’t, for the life of me, understand it! If I had my own firm, I would pick the best because I want my company to be the best.

I don’t get it…

Luminated

Follow the dollar, find the culprit.

TheDoc

The company that I work for has been looking for a new programmer forever. We keep on getting applicants that simply aren’t qualified.

I forget who did the study, but it was something like a senior programmer will work 10 times more efficiently than a junior. So, while the senior is likely to cost 3 times more, it is much more cost-effective based on the amount of work completed.

StephBertha
    Participant

Oh yeah, I totally understand that. But that’s not really what I was getting at…

I don’t understand why companies hire people who aren’t that good. Sure, yeah, they might be cheaper, but in the long run, it’ll cost the employer. So I still don’t get it :/

Luminated

Steph…it just means they are bad business people…or at least short-sighted (and that doesn’t bode well for future success…so, they aren’t very good at making CEO level decisions).

DboG

Like @Luminated said it’s about dollars. In an ideal world the value of talented designers and programmers would be understood by all. But for some companies they have $X to spend, and whatever $X buys them will suffice. And while it’s nice to think that ultimately that would bit them in the butt, the reality is that they often have clients who just want to pay $Y for services and are happy for what $Y will buy them.

There are employers who understand talent and quality, and there are clients who demand it and will pay for it. But there’s also a wide swath who understand those skills as commodities, to be gauged against a pricepoint.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.