Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

WHOIS Protection necessary?

• # November 25, 2012 at 1:20 am

Is the WHOIS domain protection offered by hosting companies truly necessary – or is is just like the warranties gadget salesmen attempt to stiff you with?

# November 25, 2012 at 1:28 am

I would say no but this really depends on the type of information you want to keep private. You can still contact most private domain holders.

# November 25, 2012 at 1:31 am

Cool,

That’s what i was thinking. I guess if someone is extremely paranoid about privacy they can fill out the WhoIs info with incomplete/different content

# November 25, 2012 at 1:32 am

That’s what I’ve done in the past. But there are some services that keep ALL information private, even payments when registering the domain.

# November 25, 2012 at 1:47 am

I used to have GoDaddy and it irked me that they charged extra for WhoIs privacy so I switched to Hover where the domains are slightly more expensive and include free privacy while still being cheaper than the GoDaddy add-on + domain plan.

I like to keep my information private so that it isn’t easily found.

# December 14, 2012 at 8:03 am

I would always go for the WHOIS-Protection because its not that expencive at most hosting companies but it increases your privacy by alot.

Anonymous
    # December 14, 2012 at 2:52 pm

If you register your domains as you, not a company with a private business office, then your home address and phone number will be available to anyone who does a who-is search. Perhaps you don’t care about that information being private, it’s your call.

Personally, I do think who-is privacy is important. That’s why I use hover.com to register my domains, privacy is included with no extra charge.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".