Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Which one is the best?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    dzulfriday

hello community,

i have one question to ask from all the community members here. if i want to dev a hotel directory site using wordpress, which one of these 3 is the best way? (i choose wp because i love wp too much and choose other cms is not the answer here, i know wp capability is too great if we know how to tweak it):

1. develop a special plugin
    2. create custom field inside related posts/pages
    3. create custom post types+custom fields

which one will guarantee the best for site performance/database performance? lets assume the hotel records will not exceeds 10,000 records.

Rob MacKay
    Participant

well you can either do it as a plugin or as a theme extension. Personally I would make a plugin and create a page in the admin section for adding/editing/removing entries – then create some template tags to display the data.

As for performance, well that’s all down to your skills with PHP/MySQL – but I doubt you would need to worry about it unless your site has hundreds of visitors at a time all using the database at the same time…

dzulfriday

finally, some replied! thanks!

i am asking this because my boss give this project to me. honestly, i have basic php knowledge and in terms of wp, i have experience custom the theme, wp files and plugins but i never create my own plugin. the reason i list the 3 options is because i think for a person like me, creating a custom post type or custom fields is easier than creating a plugin.

since you reply like that may i know is it difficult to create a plugin for this project for person like me? how steep is the learning curve to make wordpress plugin? any best reference to start?

Rob MacKay
    Participant

I think sometimes posts can get lost :)

Well for me – I had a working knowledge of PHP when I created my first plugin – but the best place I got started from was here:

http://johnhawkinsunrated.com/wordcamp-september-2009

That will explain how to implement a small plugin and admin panel with template tags. If you can recreate that and get your head around it I think you are well on your way.

dzulfriday

thanks Rob..

it is a very useful link :)
    btw, maybe you can help me to solve a problem here

Rob MacKay
    Participant

Yea it helped me out loads

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.