Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Which Mac for freelancing?.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hello people. I’m hoping to upgrade from a Pentium 4 WinXp Pc to either an iMac(new 27inch quadcore) or Macbook Pro (quite a leap huh?) to start my graphics+web design freelancing business. Problem is, I’d googled every article/forum there is regarding this issue, even asked a professional and didn’t quite get the right answer I’m looking for. If you guys could help me, my question is, what are the benefits of using a laptop versus a desktop in terms of designing and running your business?. I hope there are some freelancers in here that can add in the details of their experiences of using both setups and which they prefer. Portability is a great thing if I’m always going to places or the client’s office for a meeting but is this aspect necessary? or can it be improvised? i.e meeting clients. I have no clue as to what a freelancer’s scope is in terms of client meeting or if it’s even necessary since that every communication can be handled via the internet. Hope anyone can help, thanks in advance.

TheDoc

I think you mentioned the biggest difference yourself – portability.

I use a Mac laptop. When I’m at home I simply plug it into a much larger external monitor, and voila, I have a desktop computer.

What a don’t like about the laptop, is its inability to upgrade. I’ve maxed out the memory and the hard drive, but I feel like it needs a little more horse power. So, now I’m forced into a situation where I need to buy a new machine.

I’ve decided that since I already have a laptop (and I don’t need heavy powered processing when I’m away from home, Photoshop and Dreamweaver really don’t need too much power to run), I’ll be purchasing a new desktop. If I had all the money in the world, I’d get a Mac Pro, but since I don’t I’ll probably be building a Hackintosh. My other choice would be purchasing an iMac.

If I could only have one machine, I would probably just buy a Macbook Pro every couple of years.

Hope this somewhat helps.

vincent

In my opinion, only use a laptop if you REALLY, REALLY have too. A really good laptop, in my opinion, should only be useful for someone who is never at a place they can use their desktop. Laptops to me, should mainly be used for things like Word, not really graphic dependent things. I think having a desktop and any kind of laptop is the best setup. You can get the mini net books or cheap laptops for a couple hundred dollars. And just have your main development machine at your house, cause being forced to do everything on a 15 inch screen fucking SUCKS, but it’s not bad if you’re just collaborating or writing a memo or something.

TheDoc
    "vincent" wrote:
    In my opinion, only use a laptop if you REALLY, REALLY have too. A really good laptop, in my opinion, should only be useful for someone who is never at a place they can use their desktop. Laptops to me, should mainly be used for things like Word, not really graphic dependent things. I think having a desktop and any kind of laptop is the best setup. You can get the mini net books or cheap laptops for a couple hundred dollars. And just have your main development machine at your house, cause being forced to do everything on a 15 inch screen fucking SUCKS, but it’s not bad if you’re just collaborating or writing a memo or something.

I completely disagree with this. Almost every single laptop made today can PERFECTLY run Photoshop and Dreamweaver, they are incredibly easy on even an integrated graphics card. The only thing you’d need a stronger machine for is something like 3D rendering.

Nobody is forcing anyone to do all their work on a 15" screen. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I plug my laptop right into a huge external monitor every time I’m at home. I have an bluetooth keyboard, wireless mouse. To the average joe, it certainly looks like a desktop setup.

Thanks guys for the replies.

@TheDoc
    – I had the same idea for the setup, Macbook Pro(MBP) + Monitor, and yes I agree about MBP’s being limited after a few years, upgrading-wise that is. After discussing it with my girlfriend, she insists that I get the MBP because the probability of working as a freelancer that I may and will be having to meet the client’s on site which is really crucial since I work from home, and she’s a professional and knows more about clients that demand to have a meet-up occasionally, and plus she made a valid point that some client like to see things made ‘live’ and doing any/revisions adjustments that sorta thing. Personally I’d rather email them the pdfs and/or make a mock-up site so they can go on the net and just view it then email me the amendments they want.

I think for now, I’ll wait for the new MBPs that are probably coming out early next year and see the specs and all. But man oh man the new 27inch iMac is just so tempting!, the screen size and the processor is just right for a long term use (think 3 or 4 years). Anyone here works freelancing but have a no-client-meetings policy?, that will be interesting to know.

TheDoc
    "Adil_M" wrote:
    Anyone here works freelancing but have a no-client-meetings policy?, that will be interesting to know.

I’ve only met with a few locally. Most are all done through email.

The reason why I find the laptop even more valuable is when I travel. On a boat? Getting work done. On a plane? Getting work done. The ability to change your scenery at the drop of a hat. Maybe you feel like getting out of the house, working for a couple hours in a coffee shop, etc etc.

"TheDoc" wrote:
    Maybe you feel like getting out of the house, working for a couple hours in a coffee shop, etc etc.

Thanks Doc, I think I’ll be heading the laptop path for now. I’m getting more and more frustrated doing things in Windows, that’s the main reason for the jump to Mac OS X. All the ‘working ‘ applications are Mac OS X based so yeah. Plus it’s shiny and has a glowing apple on it so that alone is a reason to buy it ;) . Just kidding. Come February and I’ll instantaneously be a Mac Fan Boy, and hope it’ll be for life.

TheDoc
    "Adil_M" wrote:
    Thanks Doc, I think I’ll be heading the laptop path for now. I’m getting more and more frustrated doing things in Windows, that’s the main reason for the jump to Mac OS X. All the ‘working ‘ applications are Mac OS X based so yeah. Plus it’s shiny and has a glowing apple on it so that alone is a reason to buy it ;) . Just kidding. Come February and I’ll instantaneously be a Mac Fan Boy, and hope it’ll be for life.

I was pretty hardcore fan boyish a few years ago, but it’s sort of evened out now, especially with Windows 7. I’ve been running on a Mac for just a little over a decade now, it’d be near impossible for me to switch over to a PC.

Good luck with the new machine! Keep an eye on this site (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com) for any news on upcoming releases.

synn

I think AIR is one good model to choose from. You can read buyers testimonials before purchasing any model of mac.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.