Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Which is better to learn? PHP & MySQL or JavaScript / jQuery

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    theplastickid
    Participant

Hello, just after a bit of advice really in what path I should take.

I’ve only been desinging for about 4 or 5 months, I am failry comfortable now with html/css. I would like to branch out and learn another language what would you guys suggest to be more beneficial to me?

PHP & MySQL or JavaScript and jQuery?

Appreciate any feedback,
    Thanks.

MrBrightside
    Participant

Their both really good to learn

But I would say overall, PHP would be much more useful in more circumstances. PHP will help you understand most CMS’s code will help you style wordpress, save you a lot of time. (like the include(file.php or file.html) will let you insert html/php. Awsome for navigation links);

Problem with PHP is it’s server side, meaning it’s compiled into HTML so you need a server to test it out, if your on windows, I would recommend using Xampp as a nice portable webserver great for testing.

Jquery is awsome also, but it’s more of a, "let’s make things pretty" like slideshows, image zooming, Ajax, and more which are good and all but not as useful, if you don’t know PHP.

theplastickid
    Participant

Thank you for the reply. I have themed a wordpress site once and I did find php quite interesting also, I am currently themeing Joomla sites. But I can’t say i’ve "learned" these codes, its mostly copy and paste work, which I don’t consider a skill. I am very torn between the two I eventually intend to learn both but I just don’t know which one to do first. The face that I can build CMS sites in Joomla I may start on JavaScript.

AshtonSanders
    Participant

I totally agree with Mr Brightside.

PHP is useful for developing with WordPress, Joomla, etc. and making websites work.

JQuery/Javascript helps the front end of the website to move around and do "cool" things. I have been developing for 6+ years and just started to learn JQuery… as I didn’t need it before…

(Wahoo! Post #300)

theplastickid
    Participant

Thats an interesting post xheathen I kinda had the same thoughts. I think in a similar way to you, I don’t want to be able to create php plugins for joomla for example from scratch, I just want enough of an understanding that when I install one, I can see what its doing and how it works, so that I can manipulate it to the best of my ability.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.