Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS WHICH BETTER? – blog.[domain].com or [domain]/blog.com ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    hendrix940
    Participant

Which way is better to URL my blog?

blog.[domain].com or [domain]/blog.com ?

THANK YOU!!

Paulie_D

Better for what?

Which way do you like it?

It really makes no difference for SEO purposes…I think.

The blog.[domain].com means, I assume, that you own that domain name but [domain]/blog.com does not (unless you mean [domain].com/blog)

Paulie_D

I have a blog at blogspot which I update infrequently but I also have a domain which I redirect to blogspot.

Either works.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

I don’t think it matters that much either. I can tell you that at CodePen, we have our blog at blog.codepen.io – the reason being that you can set different DNS records for different subdomains. This gives us the ability to host that blog at a totally different host than the root domain. So, for example, god forbid, if CodePen were to go down, the blog is still up and we can communicate through that.

chrisburton
    Participant

That’s actually pretty smart, @chriscoyier.

For a small site, such as a portfolio, it probably wouldn’t matter if you don’t receive that much traffic.

TheDoc

If it’s a separate entity (think different design, focus, etc), I prefer the subdomain. It remains directly linked to the main domain but is separate at the same time.

If the blog is integrated into the root domain then I’d skip having /blog altogether.

uneart

Nice tip there @chriscoyier that can be quite handy.

In my mind, having a specific feature of a website (blog, gallery, tool, etc.) on a subdomain, creates the illusion of it beeing somewhat separate. So I would expect maybe a special layout/navigation or different colors, something like that.
    Just with a /blog or /gallery it feels more integrated as a subpage so I would expect it to have like same navigation, colors as the home page.

It would depend on the way you link to it as well. (seperate link/button or integrated in the main navigation.

I hate it when you click on a “page” in the main navigation on a whole different site flips open.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.