Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

When to use WordPress and when to not.

• # August 3, 2008 at 5:27 pm

I haven’t designed for wordpress yet, and I dont know too much about it actually.(Of course, I’ll be watching Chris’ videos soon).

I like designing a website with CSS and photoshop and there is the site. But for all this CMS hooplah and rave, I can’t help but wonder how much easier would having a website for a client in wordpress be. Also, I can see where it could be overkill, then again, it may not be at all, since like I said earlier, I dont know much about it.

So, here’s what I’d like to know…
    :oops:

When and when not’s to use WordPress vs. just strandard htmlcss website.

# August 3, 2008 at 6:56 pm

Wordpress is actually pretty good for pretty much anything if you need a website with dynamic content. I just posted my web design portfolio and realized that every site I run, save for one, is done with WordPress, and I’m taking a break from another as I type this. Other than sharing a similar header-body-sidebar-footer scheme (by design choice), the sites are all unique and have different functionality. To answer your question though, I’d think after you learn how to design for WordPress, you’ll probably be able to figure out what you want to do on a case-by-case basis.

# August 3, 2008 at 10:48 pm

As you might have noticed, I’ve been super into WordPress again lately. Some of the newer features really make it work and feel like a true CMS that can be great for any site. Take for example this new site I’ve put together for the Center for Jewish Studies at the University of Wisconsin – Madison:

http://jewishstudies.wisc.edu/

I took this awesome template from NETTUTS and made it into a WordPress template (with some modifications of course). The site really isn’t a blog at all, it’s mostly just static pages. Yet, every single page on the entire site is a part of WordPress. This means I can add new content and update existing content super easily, without even popping open a code editor. Also, down the line, switching the design of the site will be a snap since the content is completely and totally separated from the design. Plus, with WordPress, if the desire for more advanced functionality pops up, you are ready to rock. Whether it’s built in stuff like RSS feeds and commenting, or advanced specific functionality that you’ll almost certainly be able to find via plugin, you are ready to extend.

# August 4, 2008 at 12:59 pm

re: your new Jewish Studies site

I am using IE7 to look at your new site, the footer is showing up in the middle
    of the content on the "major", "courses" and "scholarships" pages on IE7, as
    well, the tab on the "scholarships" page is not highlighted when you are on that
    page in either IE7 or FF2.

good luck

Al

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".