Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

When people ask to you design archaic stuff?

• # June 5, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I had a client the other day insist that I no longer send work that is in div’s, but tables only. It is a client I get semi-regular work from that hosts a myriad of aging websites that make 2008 look hip sometimes.

I’m kind of on the fence about what my approach is going to be here. Convincing them of the value of newer design fundamentals is not an option at this point as I’ve been over it.

My initial reaction was “uhh… really?” followed by wanting to just not bother any longer. But I think I’m just going to take on more work until I’m just “too busy” for those projects.

Has anyone else run across that? Curious what they did and how it turned out.

# June 5, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Does your client have to edit the webpages often on his own? If so, he’s probably not sure how to work with divs. I’ve never run across that before because typically the people I design for don’t really know a lot about web design and they’re not editing their own sites either.

# June 5, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Have you asked the client why specifically they want to use tables and not divs? It might be best to do that first, and then try to counter a specific argument the client has for using tables instead of giving them broad reason why they should use divs. Best of luck with it!

# June 5, 2012 at 5:28 pm

My general rule is that if the client acts like they know more than you do about web design/development, they are probably not worth your time.

# June 7, 2012 at 6:27 pm

@theacefes I don’t honestly know how much they modify it, but that very well could be a good reason. And you are probably correct on your last comment lol

@ryanMTD yes, which was confusing because it’s like asking someone from the past. As far as he knows, the the most dominant, widely used and progressive technology out there =D I suppose if someone didn’t have any experience with it, they would see it as confusing as hell. But then again you have to be able to accept that it could possibly be more powerful if learned. That just isn’t going to happen :P

# June 7, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Hahah not trying to sound disrespectful of course. But usually the reason someone hires me to do a website is because they lack the technical know how to do it themselves.

# June 7, 2012 at 8:00 pm

I love that comic.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".