Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS When I try to print out my website my related links tab doesn’t show up; only on certain browsers.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    djrolstad
    Participant

I have a set size for the canvas of 960px. How is it that it gets out of the canvas?

http://codepen.io/anon/pen/qGuzi

Paulie_D

Oh dear, you really haven’t got the hang of CodePen yet have you? You need to link images from a webserver if you want them to show up.

As it is, WHAT is breaking out of your ‘#canvas’?

Oh and please stop putting inline styles in your HTML, it’s really unnecessary.

html style="height:640px;"

djrolstad
    Participant

the three bars on the right. The last one on the bottom doesn’t show up. And I haven’t uploaded any images to any server yet; so I put them as background colors. And that inline css was a test that I forgot to take out. The div that its under is #leftbarthree…. haha eventhough its on the right-side.

Kitty Giraudel
    Participant

Ouch, table layout. :(

What’s the point of printing a related links section ?

djrolstad
    Participant

the client wants it to be printable… and yeah table for displaying the list of videos..

Paulie_D

I have to agree with @HugoGiraudel. You really need to develop your markup skills.

There is no reason to be using tables here.

Kitty Giraudel
    Participant

If you want to build up your front-end development skills, you might want to have a look at Codecademy.com: http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/web. ;)

djrolstad
    Participant

so your saying that because of the tables; it is causing this? cause i made other pages without the use of tables and seems to display fine. It displays weird with the tables.

djrolstad
    Participant

hahah i was actually looking at that site.. thanks! :)

Kitty Giraudel
    Participant

Table layouts are pretty old. We do not build websites like this anymore. So your problem might be caused by this, yup. They are not fluid, not maintainable, and not intuitive (development speaking).

The current way is floating elements and clearing them. I’d say 95% of websites are built with this.

A new way of building websites is progressively coming (flexbox), but won’t be totally supported by major browsers for a year or two I guess.

Paulie_D

‘leftbarthree’ does not seem to follow the system (if that’s what you can call it) of being inside a link.

I have no idea if that will solve your problem. What you should have is a separate print stylesheet.

Frankly, it’s a mess.

djrolstad
    Participant

I’m trying to learn.. and trying to get this to run on all browsers as well including IE7+. Cause thats what he wants…. Is there any blogs you know of that show IE hacks?

Paulie_D

I’m not sure that the structure you have at the moment (divs inside links or lists) is supported by IE7+

You can google IE7 hacks if you really need to but these should not really be required if you have properly structured HMTL and CSS.

djrolstad
    Participant

Thanks guys, you have been really helpful!!

Paulie_D

We try but sometimes there is very little we can do without a working site or a properly constructed reduced case.

I have to congratulate you on having a client who is willing to let you build his website while you are still learning.

I can only imagine how successful you will be once you have developed your skills.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.