Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other What’s your coding ritual? I know you have one!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

One does not simply “code for a little bit.” At least I don’t. I generally spend at least a few hours working on a task. Being that coding occupies a good block of time for me, I like to have what I need at the ready.

I generally set up my laptop somewhere with minimal noise (the basement works great). Then, I make sure I have my smaller external hard drive for files I might need. I always make sure to have my phone and earbuds with me. I prefer the phone to the computer so I can walk around without losing my music/train of thought.

As a side note, I can’t hear a lot of words when I’m coding. It distracts me and I start typing hey_jude tags. So, blues, rock, hip hop, bluegrass and This American Life are out of the question. I can only listen to one of two things: electronic music or Chopin. These are two things I didn’t listen to much of before learning to code. Now… they’re basically all I listen to. I’m embarassed to say that yes… Skrillex gets a lot of play when I’m working. Joke if you must.

Lastly, I make sure to have a beverage handy. It depends on what sort of mood I’m in, what the project is and what time of day it is. 9 times out of 10, it’s coffee. However, after 5, if I’m doing something easy or non important… definitely beer. Preferably something from Great Divide… Titan or Colette.

So, how do you guys go about the coding setup?

AWKM
    Participant

Not in my ideal situation at the moment but I’m moving in a few weeks so I’ll be able to set things up nicely

-Big desk

-PC (no mac or laptop nonsense here)

-Hopefully end up with 3 screens

-Music and headphones

In work, the same but I’m stuck on 2 screens.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I must have the worse setup here. I have a small desk and a laptop in a corner of the hallway in my house. People are always walking behind me and calling my name when i have my headphones on. So when i hear things that sound remotely like my name, i have to take off the headphones, listen for an extra 5 seconds and make sure no one was calling me. I have a crappy metal chair and use couch cushions to sustain my ass because when i sit there coding for 5 hours, my ass bones hurt. I usually get up every hour to do a little stretching.I babysit during the day, So i spend most of the day coding. I can imagine myself coding at 4am like many of you do, But it feels really weird for me coding that late, And after coding all day i don’t even feel like doing it. I usually play video games or watch movies. Ever since i started to teach myself how to code I’ve been really hooked on it. When i first wake up everyday i brush my teeth, sit in front of my laptop and start coding, then i get up like 2 hours later and eat breakfast. Usually when i reach a problem that i cant fix, i ignore whatever project i’m working on for the entire day and work on something else. Then when i feel like fixing it, i go back to it.

I don’t know why but i almost never listen to English music. I use Pandora and all my stations are of Spanish music, and maybe a little Eminem. I sometimes wonder if listening to music while coding is either good or bad. I think that it can interfere with my thinking and concentration. So sometimes i try spending the entire day not listening to music while i code, but it gets a little boring and i think the music helps me sit there for 5 hours.

__
    Participant

Kinda surprises me that everyone seems to keep their phone with them when coding – I shut it off!

Other stuff:

— don’t like headphones

— music is great; lyrics don’t bother me at all. I like a range of music: mostly classic rock; but basically anything not-rap, not-country, and not-stupid-pop. I’ve been listening to heavier stuff lately, too (@JoshBlackwood: Rammstien!!!).

— two monitors on my desk (three if you count the “other” computer, but then it’s generally for “other” work); easy to pop my laptop off and work in the living room instead. Tablet is nearby too – I recently got a webserver app for it, so I may be doing more work (testing, at least) there soon.

— the drink is Dr.Pepper (other drinks _exist_?)

— logitech wireless kbs/mice rock

— notebooks/ reference books/ index cards on the bookshelf

TheDoc

> — the drink is Dr.Pepper (other drinks _exist_?)

I had to give up the pop, unfortunately. Just too much sugar for my body. Dr. Pepper is the greatest thing on the planet, though. Coffee and water for me!

__
    Participant

up north, huh, Doc?

TheDoc

> up north, huh, Doc? @traq

hahaha. Love those maps. I am indeed up north, the Great White North to be precise! Though, that’s a little misleading as we haven’t had any snow here in a couple years. I’m in Victoria on Vancouver Island (across Georgia Straight from Vancouver, just west of Seattle).

dfogge
    Participant

lately i’ve been sitting my [drum machine](http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/tempest/ “”) in between my keyboard and my monitor and i make beats while i write code. i know im weird, but hey, YOU ASKED!

oh and also, SNACKS!!

dfogge
    Participant

beats, snacks, and code. what else is there?

__
    Participant

>I wish I was organized and had the index cards/etc.

I never said I was organized.
    I just have lots of index cards with stuff written on them.

>That’s partly why I’ve lately gotten to the point of wanting to splurge on a tablet that can handle me taking notes on it: have everything in one place!

I had that in mind when I got my tablet, but it didn’t work out. I like physical notes; digital notes simply don’t compare.

jurotek
    Participant

Gave up on index cards or any other type of electronic notes about 3 months ago. Set up Access DB for all the documentation and records of current or past projects. Storing 100’s of CSS and js snippets which I can quickly call by selection of category value in combo box. Documenting page titles and descriptions with time stamp and how the changes in wording affected SEO and position on organic search and much more.

Best time to code: Early in the morning.
    Beverage: Coffee and plenty of cigarettes.

jurotek
    Participant

@Joe_Temp,
    Best way to me is to use DB, I can’t think of anything else. Much better access to multiple sources and data in one place. Advantage of assigning multiple child records to a parent without repeating parent attribute values like in flat file, example (Excel). Also much better reporting capability out of Access than Excel which is more difficult to parse even for me with good knowledge of VBA.

jurotek
    Participant

I am not familiar with that one. But basically every relational database follows same principles.
    You develop tables (entities) with each having PK and only attributes dependent on that entity PK which hold atomic values. Than you set up your relationships. They can be 1:1, 1:M or M:M. The related table on the side of many has to have FK which is related to parent PK. Than you write queries using SQL to create data source for your UI (data entry forms) objects and you done. The hardest part? To master normalization to at least 3rd NF.

__
    Participant

@Joe_Temp look into SQLite. self-contained, plenty of free management applications.

__
    Participant

**love** gists. love github.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.