Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Whats the deal with IE??

• # December 25, 2008 at 10:56 pm

Hi! My names Nathan, and I’m new to these forums and pretty new to web design (xhtml/css). I hasn’t taken me long to realize my sites come out a bit funny in IE… which really annoys me. From your humble opinions and experience:

1. do you believe making your site work for IE is worth it?
    2. For a beginner like me who has finally got the hang of xhtml and css, would it take long to learn the ‘work arounds’ for IE?
    3. what kind of work arounds are there, is it mostly tweaking the css?
    4. when will those Microsoft people get there act together? I’m so glad im using mac…

Looking fwd to hearing your opinions on this subject!

Rob
    # December 26, 2008 at 7:17 am

1. do you believe making your site work for IE is worth it?

IE 7, yes, IE 6 no… about 20% of traffic is via an IE6 browser these days, but its so rediculously bad – I have actually added a bit of Javascript for only my IE6 veiwers explaining why and showing them where to upgrade.

2. For a beginner like me who has finally got the hang of xhtml and css, would it take long to learn the ‘work arounds’ for IE?

You kind of learn them, most of the issues are with what IE sees as margins and padding, especially IE6. The old box model bug…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_E … _model_bug

3. what kind of work arounds are there, is it mostly tweaking the css?

There are many work around, the biggest one for positioning problems is to use the position selector and the left right top bottom attributes. For IE6 there are a good few PNG fixes to make it see the transparency.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/pnghowto.htm <– png hack example :)

4. when will those Microsoft people get there act together? I’m so glad im using mac…

Im a PC, and I dont know… I actually dont know how they can sleep at night knowing they are the worse browser in the world lol. I hope they do though lol.

# December 27, 2008 at 9:23 am
    "hellokitty889" wrote:
    GOOD Writing! This is a recreation of the previous combat formula thread. In this thread, This formula is not exact, but it does have a very high accuracy. Our goal is to improve it so that it becomes exact. buy runescape money can help you calculate your level, for any combination of combat skills you like.
    Wallpaper containing something that appears to be an estimate of the combat formula buy runescape gold. Our data suggests that it is not the actual formula, but it does seem to confirm bits of our formula. Feel free to discuss it here in this thread Want to buy buy rs gold pls check it~~keep working!

runescape???

what the hell has this got to do with the thread?

# December 28, 2008 at 4:52 am

While for personal projects I have taken the "screw IE6" route, for clients it almost always has to work in ALL browsers, that means IE 6 needs to work too. So, while you may not need to use it, I think it’s important to know (or at least understand) some of the "hacks".

If you’re just starting out, your layouts probably aren’t that complicated, which also means that you probably shouldn’t actually need any work arounds. Always make sure your code validates before you go off trying to fix IE 6 "bugs" as sometimes it can be your own coding error.

Having said that, IE 6 is in fact the devil, and I look forward to the day where I don’t have to worry about it.

# January 1, 2009 at 6:46 am

Thanks for the advice, it was was really helpful! I’ll definitely check out those links out as well.

Wish you all the best for 2009 =]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".