Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other What Web Developer Qualifications should I look for?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ajnoguerra
    Participant

Our company will be expanding its capabilities soon and one of the target projects are building **e-commerce websites** and **hotel reservation system**.

I want to be sure if I am hiring the right person for the job. Can anyone suggest what are the specific qualifications that I should look for on hiring a web developer?

Edit:

Does having a knowledge with Frameworks (eg. zend, codeigniter ) a “must” requirement?

akarsh
    Participant

You gonna do these with single person.

Because which requires designer , developer and back end coder. See some designer’s can do developing.. vice versa..

But backend u really needed, that may be java or php or .net…..

Anonymous
    Inactive

Try finding one who can do multiple things like design,code,graphics and other stuff. instead of hiring multiple people.

akarsh
    Participant

Thats great, but its difficult to get that kind of specimen, who with multiple knowledge…

get two resource’s one for backend coder and designer/developer

__
    Participant

> Does having a knowledge with Frameworks (eg. zend, codeigniter ) a “must” requirement?

( Are you *using* such frameworks )? “yes”: “no”;

*( see what I did there )* :p

Personally, I’d be more interested if they actually understand what the frameworks *do*.

Who you look for must depend on what you’re going to need them to do. For a booking system, you’ll want someone who has experience with databases (particularly schema design) and forms (possibly including things like ajax APIs). For e-commerce, you’ll need someone who is very security-conscious and knows their way around the payment APIs of whatever merchant you’re using.

Give candidates real problems. Ask for code samples related to things your company does. Choose something you’ve developed already and ask how they would approach the task. They might come up with the same solution you did, or something you didn’t think of (but like). If you don’t like their answer, say goodbye. If not, ask them about a task that they might be responsible for if hired and see what they can “bring to the table.”

At the same time, you need to be assessing their confidence (do they know how to plan things out? or are they making this up as they go along?) and how much you’d like working with them. Personal feelings are entirely appropriate. If you don’t think you’d *enjoy* working with them, don’t hire them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.