Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other What should I learn / use for a new side project idea

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    mtedwards

Hi Guys,

So I’m a front end dev, I have a side project idea and I am looking to pick up a new skill.

I want to build a theatre resource (Sort of like a simple IMDB).

A database of Theatre Companies, Shows and Actors and have them all interconnected.
    Eg. This actor was in these shows. This show was done by this company with these actors etc.
    I also want people to be able to register to be able to edit / update their own profiles or their shows etc.

It’s a side project with no imminent deadline so I was thinking it would be a good opportunity to learn Ruby on Rails while completing the project.

I was wondering if there were any other suggestions for technology I could / should be using for this instead of Rails and what the pros and cons might be in terms of learning curve and the future usage of the skills acquired.

Thanks for any advice

Alen
    Participant

This project would be perfect for MVC type of framework, something like Laravel (PHP), Django(Python), Express(Node) and Rails(Ruby). I personally like Rails. This resource is incredibble: http://ruby.railstutorial.org/ruby-on-rails-tutorial-book?version=4.0

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.