Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other What should I learn first?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Chester
    Participant

Mabuhay!
    I’m really lovin’ this web deseign/development thing. I think I can code html/css now, though not that GOOD yet.
    Now I would like to learn javaScript, jQuery, PHP,etc.
    What should I learn first?

TheDoc

Don’t learn any of them until you are *really good* at HTML and CSS.

__
    Participant

Seems I’ve [heard this question before](https://css-tricks.com/forums/discussion/comment/80739).

dennisruban

go for javaScript then PHP

alanshortis
    Participant

If you feel you’re comfortable enough with HTML and CSS, I would say to look _closely_ at HTML5 and CSS3, then start looking at jQuery.

jQuery is quick and easy to write, there are billions of tutorials and the syntax will set you up well for PHP and writing JavaScript without a framework.

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

@Chester : I second @joshuanhibbert on the Javascript. If you jump straight into jQuery, you will be limited. Yes, it is easy and quick to learn but in the long run you will be selling yourself short.

Watson90

Hmmm, this thread has kinda made me rethink learning jQuery as i rarely know JS yet at all…

Watson90

Thanks @joshuanhibbert

Well I was having a little play around with jQuery yesterday and managed to do this:

http://stevenwatson.co.uk/examples/jquery

Obviously the functions are low-level stuff but I didn’t even know the syntax a few days ago, so maybe that shows I might pick up JavaScript easy-ish? Lol.

pmac627
    Participant

I’ve gone into job interviews where knowing jQuery better than vanilla JS hurt your chances. The logic being that if you understand JavaScript, you will be able to truly understand jQuery and use it to its fullest.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.