Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other What materials to expect from a designer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ethanmiller
    Participant

Hi, I recently was working with a designer to build a site and was provided with only a layered psd file as a comp to base the site design. There were no wireframes or other specs provided. I found this a bit frustrating as I had to constantly dig into the psd and use measurement tools to figure out how things should be. It made me wonder what it is reasonable to expect ask for in terms of specs and design docs when working with a designer to build a site. Ideas? Opinions?

Paulie_D

If you’re instructing a designer then it’s up to you to explain (in detail) what it is you expect whether it be dimensions of individual items for your coder or something else.

That should form part of your contract so that you can build the site you want.

Also, remember that, from what you have said, you have asked him to design the ‘look’ of your site. If your site was going to be responsive then multiple designs might be appropriate and thus specific measurements might be less relevant as these might be substituted with %ages.

Even once you have the PSD and you are now coding it…is it really necessary to know that a box is exactly 957px wide in the comp. What if you are designing for 960 px? Wouldn’t you just assume that he meant 960px?

If he gave you a PSD based on 960px but you are coding for 1140px…who’s fault is that?

As I said, you’re apparently paying for the look…not the code…at least from your OP.

ethanmiller
    Participant

There was no actual problem. So no one was at fault. My question was simply intended to get a sense of what others request from designers when working with them separately. If a layered PSD is standard that’s the answer I was lookin for.

wolfcry911
    Participant

I’d be happy with a PSD

ethanmiller
    Participant

Right, thanks all! This is very helpful.

chrisburton
    Participant

When I used to design for the web I would add a group called “Notes” for the developer in PS. I marked certain areas explaining basic things such as line-height or whatever may look confusing to someone other than me. This certainly helps solve some confusion. Anyway, I just wanted to throw this out there.

@andy_unleash Ha. There usually is a good reason (grid).

TheDoc

Figured I’d chime in as well. I usually only get a PSD, though if the designer knows what they are doing it’s usually prepped for me. By that I mean all layers that aren’t being used are discarded, things are cleaned up, layers given proper names, etc. If the designer knows how to use Layer Comps it’s an amazing experience!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.