Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

What kind of Degree did you get in Web Dev?

• # March 13, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Hey guys I’m looking of going into doing web development. I noticed the ones I looked at where Associate degrees and I wondered, what’s a good level of education for a Web Developer to get? What did you guys get? So please do share your wonderful insites because I would love to have them.

Thanks,

# March 13, 2012 at 5:53 pm

I think you’ll find a lot of people (myself included) are self taught. :)

# March 13, 2012 at 5:55 pm

+1 Self taught.

# March 13, 2012 at 6:01 pm

< Self taught as well. It's worth mentioning that I did take several few web development classes before I got serious with it. But, as many can attest, they are pretty awful.

I’m a big proponent of education as long as it makes sense. In the case of web development, I’d recommend a complimentary degree such as marketing or something like server administration type courses.

# March 13, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I’ve taught myself web development to a pretty big degree. I don’t want to waste my time and money on a degree if it’s like “this is what HTML is…” but I also don’t want to be like “don’t worry I may not have a degree but I’m really good!” So what are some good degrees to get that would supplement my knowledge or make me more valuable?

but anyway I want more people’s comments.

# March 13, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I have a bachelor’s degree in computer science, but that has nothing to do with my web development skills (self-taught as well).

I guess the value of it (in fact ANY bachelor’s degree) would be for an employer hiring you; it just says that you’re smart enough in general, so to speak.

Not that it guarantees anything, but put it like this: if there’s two guys who apply for the same web development job, one is a high-school dropout and the other one has a bachelor’s degree in economics, the one with the degree has better chances to be invited for an interview. Even though the dropout may actually have better development skills. So in a way, it just makes for some impression.

But it’s not the be-all-end-all. If the dropout writes a better application letter than the bachelor, then THAT might get the dropout a foot in the door.

All in all, the degree is just one of the (many) factors.

Rob
    # March 13, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I got a degree from the school of doing it myself lol

actually that’s not 100% true, I actually starting in 1998 with a NVQ (UK National Vocational Qualification) in HTML and Web Design – but that was seriously not worth the time really… I did learn how to play Quake though.

# March 13, 2012 at 7:22 pm

+1 self taught.

I think you’ll find that the majority of courses are behind the times. If you want to learn, there are plenty of up-to-date online resources.

# March 13, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Self thought
    Most places want minimum of two years experience but nobody will give me the experience so I can’t quit my day job just yet :(

Rob
    # March 13, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Seriously @karlcrowley – from the answers you are giving you should apply anyway :)

Mostly the things they say on job descriptions are mostly bollocks – and as long as you can get your foot in the door you can make a good impression in the interview :)

Just go for em!

# March 13, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Don’t know if I should have “I help people on the internet” on my CV haha
    I have been applying anyway ;)

# March 13, 2012 at 11:16 pm

I took a multi-media course that taught basic html, css and php but from there it’s mostly self taught, tutorials and forums. The portfolio is key though.

__
    # March 13, 2012 at 11:28 pm

@karlpcrowley re: “I help people on the internet” -

Absolutely, you should say that. It’s published proof of your programming, troubleshooting/debugging, communication, and teamwork skills.

no joke : )

# March 14, 2012 at 5:58 am

The Degree of Self Taught Hair Tearing and Headaches – self taught over many years (My first IDE was Macromedia MX Dreamweaver! So all the way back to 2002.)

Rob
    # March 14, 2012 at 6:15 am

Well you could put it on your CV… – but I meant you seem pretty competent to me and I think if you did get an interview you could easily show that competence.

“I Helpz Interwebz peoplez”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".