Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS what is the big difference

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    cybershot
    Participant

I see people using a ul tag all the time for navigation. What is the difference between an ul tag and a ol tag. I know that the ol tag gives you a numbered list. So does it just come down to preference or is there a big difference in the two?

cybershot
    Participant

Wow. That’s some good feedback on this question. As I learn more about web design I am learning that it goes deeper than one would think. When you start planning your website for screen readers you know you are putting some detail into the site.
    Thanks for the responses. It was helpfull

Flavia

Maybe an ordered list could be useful if correspondent accesskeys were set for the navigation items… but in "usual" scenarios, I’d stick with box’s reply. :)

koewnet
    "Flavia" wrote:
    Maybe an ordered list could be useful if correspondent accesskeys were set for the navigation items… but in "usual" scenarios, I’d stick with box’s reply. :)

That’s the exact reason why I’d use ol for my navigation. Then again you’d need to use the same accesskeys when modifying the menu. So if you’d add another element, it would need to be the last (bottom of list). Then it wouldn’t lose accesskey consistency. For regular users, the list items could be rearranged by CSS.

koewnet

Absolutely, but it could be linear too. For instance, if you’d use a list-navigation on a check out-process on a webshop. Or a user registration pages that’s really long and should be split up.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.