Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other What is the “best” video resolution to use on the Web?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    HenryHunter

This question is about desktop recording. I have a laptop with a 1366 x 768 screen and I recording my desktop using Camtasia Studio 6. Sometimes I record the entire desktop (1366 x 768), and sometimes I record a section of the desktop (e.g. 1178 x 730).

Sorry dudes, but this is a three-part question:

(1) I’m going to post my recordings on a website I own, and I assume it’s not practical to post a 1366 x 768 video, so I figure I’ll have to lower the resolution to something more practical like 640 x 480. I’m making this assumption because I’ve never watched a video on someone’s website that covers my whole screen. All the videos I watch are contained in smaller boxes (e.g. CSS-Tricks, Hulu, YouTube), which, I assume, are displayed at a 640 x 480 resolution or maybe something smaller. Is my assumption correct? Is this how it’s done on the Web?

(2) Is it a good idea to record a section of the screen instead of the whole screen? Will that affect the outcome of the video quality if I output the video to something like 640 x 480?

(3) What format should I output to? MP4? SWF? FLV? In case it matters, my videos will drag on anywhere from 5-15 minute.

Please feel free to make your answers as extensive as you see fit. Thanks dudes!

zackw

not sure about 1 and 2 but MP4 for sure for #3

TheDoc

1) Nothing wrong with providing your users two options. I like how Revision3 offers their episodes to download. One HD (720p), One “Large”, and one “Small”. They also provide an iPhone-ready version as well.

2) Recording a section of the screen is good, but not too small that a user can’t figure out exactly where you are or where you’re looking.

3) MP4

HenryHunter

Thanks dudes. A video with a resolution of 640 x 480 takes up exactly that much screen real estate correct?

TheDoc

Exactly. A “720p” video will take up a 720px width in its native resolution.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.