Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

What is the “best” text editor for Mac?

• # December 21, 2012 at 6:53 am

@chrisburton love your article btw! Thanks for sharing your experiences

# December 21, 2012 at 9:11 am

i work with espresso. just like its way of handling stuff somehow…

# December 21, 2012 at 10:55 am

Sublime Text 2 is what is trendy. It has some cool features but personally I prefer an IDE like Netbeans (free) or WebStorm / PHPStorm.

if what you do is HTML/CSS/JS then you should try WebStorm (PHPStorm adds PHP support). It is a full IDE and it is cheaper than ST2. It supports some of the latest technologies out of the box (sass, less, coffeescript, zen coding, Live Edit etc). And of course with an IDE you get real codeIntel, FTP, versioning, linting etc without the need to download and setup third party plugins which are rarely as good as native features of an IDE anyway.

# December 21, 2012 at 11:09 am

@zoom – I think you’re basically mis-understanding the value in having 3rd party developers working on plugins and the extensibility of ST2.

# December 21, 2012 at 11:54 am

I love using coda on my mac and still love using dreamweaver on my PC.

# December 21, 2012 at 12:37 pm

@andy_unleash – I don’t misunderstand anything. 3rd party plugins and extensibility are great and many editors and IDEs can use plugins, not just ST2.

However if using a feature is a core part of my workflow I’d rather have that feature being build-in rather than a 3rd party plugin because (a) I don’t need to worry about one more thing to download, install and setup (b) core features often work better – plugin quality varies greatly (c) I don’t need to worry that some plugin might stop working when I update the software (d) the company I buy the software from is responsible for all the core features while the developer of a free plugin has no responsibility to maintain it or offer any support.

# December 21, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I am with @zoom on this. If you have not tried Phpstorm lately then your are missing out on one hell of an IDE/text editor. ST2 is good, but i never use it. Phpstorm does so much more and the plugins are great. The new Less compiler is awesome. If you try it make sure to try the new version 6 EPA. It has the Dracula theme and is fast.

# December 21, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I guess TextMate as that is what Chris uses but i don’t use a mac so i don’t really know!
    sorry!

# December 21, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I started with Dreamweaver CS2, changed to Coda (mostly for the price) and loved it. Then I tried Sublime Text 2 (on recommendation) and aside from the code colour highlighting change from Coda to ST2 (which has been surprising hard to change) it’s been amazing!

The only issue I’ve had, to-date, is the change-over from Zen-coding to Emmet. I know it’s not the fault of Sublime Text 2, but I just had to toss that one in there.

# January 7, 2014 at 12:44 pm

I just switched to mac. I’ve been using dreamweaver for 10 years. I hand code but do use lots of DW handy little automation things. After obsessing on this for a couple days I think I’m going to try Coda 2 first. Seems more like what I’m accustomed to compared to Sublime.

# January 7, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Sublime Text is doing great and bringing good editor technics for mac …

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".