Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design What is the best location for images in a post article?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    iizag
    Participant

What is your opinion on the placements of images within the article? , I read some places that putting a small image next to the introductory text is custom practice since it allows the reader to see a smaller block of text before diving into a larger sentence of characters. Yet other places I see just the articles featured image above the Main article title , and some places below the main article title. Usually I noticed just one picture per article. What do you think is best and why ? And is one picture better then 2 ?

This is a random article on my website so you can see the format so far:

http://iamdentistry.com/archive/dentistry/bad-tooth-habits-watch/

Kingslayer
    Participant

In my Opinion this is purely situational.

The featured Image on Top helps to know where you are.

You clicked on the preview with the image and now its on top of the page. So that is where you are.

Images within the text are either at the place where there Content is adressed (e.g. a Chart, a Person, etc.), or they are used to ease up huge blocks of text.

At the End is if you wanna give multiple examples of something that the reader can look at after he acquired the knowledge by reading the article (perhaps something like “Enviromental Friendly Cars and what systems their are. At the end you might have 10 pictures of the Top 10 Enviromental friendly cars).

So what you use is up to you and the situation.

Greetings Kingslayer

Kingslayer
    Participant

Looks fine to me, typical example of easing up blocks of text with an image. (dont like the huge dropshadow, it does nothing for the image imho.)

chrisburton
    Participant

Hey, man. In your other thread, I suggested to read up on studies for image placement for articles. At the very least I think you should do that.

chrisburton
    Participant

You need to add equal space between the intro text and the image.

Also, you should find images that are at least the width of your article.

chrisburton
    Participant

@ian-izaguirre001 Yes but it seems the first two paragraphs in the article should be combined as the intro.

chrisburton
    Participant

About the Author and Related Posts headlines need to have spacing between the text and underline. I believe I mentioned this before. Also, the second image on related posts seems to be unequal to the rest.

I still think the article question compared to the article source and tags are a bit whacky. I would still rethink some of that.

chrisburton
    Participant

Let me get back to you on this, if you don’t mind.

chrisburton
    Participant

Ok I gave this another attempt, Do you think it looks better now with the color change since it matches the tags and the color change of the question doesn’t make it look out of place but its still noticeable with its font weight.

It actually makes it less noticeable which is what you don’t want and I still think the centered text kills the flow of the page.

So would it be odd to have all my article intro pictures show the same width but display a different height ?

First, you want all of your thumbnail images to be the same height and width, even if you crop them in a way that the whole photo is not within that thumbnail. It just needs to show the important part of the picture.

Second, there are many resources (e.g. Creative Commons) to find images for free that you can use and then scale or crop them to fit the size you need for all images.

Before I forget, I would upload a normal avatar of your current author picture and get rid of that rotated effect you have going on.

chrisburton
    Participant

Your article images should fit the max article width as I’ve mentioned before.

This particular intro text looks weird using a completely different typeface for a single sentence. Generally, intro text should be longer than a sentence.

This needs to be cleaned up. I also mentioned this earlier as well. If you’re going to incite comments with a question, don’t reduce the opacity in which you can see the text by using light grey on a white background. You could do this for the source material, however.

Thumbnails still need to be improved. Crop the images using Photoshop (or use WordPress’s cropping option) from now on to make the thumbnails fit the area. For example, the image with the male individual does not fit the area. You could crop the larger image so all you see is just his face for the thumbnail. Result:

So it would end up looking something like this:

chrisburton
    Participant

@ian-izaguirre001 I saw in the chat that you had a question for me? Future reference, I don’t go on that anymore. It has too many problems.

pitechindore
    Participant

Hello,
    In my opinion giving or not giving image in an article is completely depends on the requirement of article. If needed putting image to right or left side is the best just as shown in your given link. But sometimes images can be placed in between if required.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.