Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other What FREE Editor do you recommend?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    SpringMountain
    Participant

Unless you’re just looking for a text editor, I’d suggest playing the trial game for a while, as opposed to limiting your search to a free editor. Wait until you get paid for a job then buy the one you like most. All the ones I know of are well under $100, and if it’s something you use for work, it must be something that makes you work better and it helps if you actually like the application.

I used to use TacoHTML and CSSEdit for OS X and that suited me well. CSSEdit is now dead (eaten up by espresso), and Taco just wasn’t being developed fast enough and lacks features.

I now use WebStorm by JetBrains and I really like it. It is available for all major operating systems. The only issue is the lack of web-related features like live browser preview. With Live Reload (thanks, Chris!), this can be managed. Other than that, it covers it all. LESS/SASS, FTP, version control, validation/code analysis, and it handles JS, PHP and a bunch of other languages I don’t use.

Works at 64 and 32bit and runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. It’s not the sexiest interface, but the amount of control you have over it is amazing, so you can skin it to your liking and fine tune pretty much every line of code in what has to be one of the most extensive preferences dialog box I’ve seen in a while. $49 if you decide to buy it. http://www.jetbrains.com/webstorm/features/
    (I don’t work for them nor do I get paid for referrals).

I love the look of Sublime Text, and it seems to be a well written program, a lot more lightweight than WebStorm, but with less features. If free is all you’re looking for, Sublime Text looks like the winner.

clod
    Participant

I use Codelobster PHP Edition

This free editor works best for me.

jurotek
    Participant

Tried few even sublime text paid version. About a month ago or so I tried free web expression 4 and love it.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.