Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

What email addresses do you create/use for your domains?

• # October 17, 2009 at 1:03 am

Hi everyone,

When you create a new site and domain, whether for yourself or a client — what email addresses do you create?

It seems obvious to use "info@thedomain.com", but that’s quickly flooded with spam.

It seems there are several types of addresses you’d need:
    — The owner’s name @, for professional correspondence
    — Support @
    — Orders @
    — Surveys @
    — Info @ ??

I know it depends on the nature of the site. Just wondering if everyone uses info@, or if there’s a more professional yet succinct way to create an email structure.

This could be an interesting discussion, and I may write a blog post on the different points brought up. But mainly, I have several of my own sites, and am looking for some consistency without everything being info@.

Thanks!

Brett

# October 17, 2009 at 2:11 am

The only thing I do is ask the client.

Generally, I’m not quite sure how many small or even medium sized businesses still have a general "info" or "sales" prefix to their email. Mostly it’s all done through web form that email to whoever handles that kind of thing. The rest of the time it’s someone specific within the company who gives their email to someone else.

Rob
    # October 17, 2009 at 5:14 am

yea I ask the client too. Most like having personal emails for team members and a generic one like "support" or "info" depending on what the company does.

# October 17, 2009 at 9:00 am

one caught my eye the other day, when using a personal name as a domain name..

for example, people would like, joe@joe-bloggs.com which I always found to be a bit bizarre. This guy however had email@joe-bloggs.com.

ridiculously simple and glaringly obvious thing to use, but jeez.. so much nicer than saying your name twice in the same link.

# October 17, 2009 at 11:56 pm

Yea, I don’t have a "normal thing I do." I will normally make one email a catch-all account until it starts getting spammed.

"greg.mcausland" wrote:
    for example, people would like, joe@joe-bloggs.com which I always found to be a bit bizarre. This guy however had email@joe-bloggs.com.

I actually like that. I’ve got "ash {at} ashtonsanders.com". I met one guy who had something like "notchris {at} chris.com". I thought that was funny.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".