Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End What does this WordPress back-end look like? Why use WP?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Luminated

This site was posted in the feedback forum and I noticed that it was built on WordPress:

http://pwstudio.co.uk/

My question is a funny one but I really need it answered. When someone builds a site like this on WordPress, what are they using to do so? Are they just creating pages and using the HTML editor to paste their custom page code into the site (which is the only way I know how to get sites to look this custom with WordPress)? If so, isn’t it just the same as a static HTML site? Why use WordPress in that case?

Or, if there some kind of custom fancy back-end that enables one to build the site using custom content types and and fields, like Drupal does?

TheDoc

WordPress has moved into the Custom Field realm. I make it a priority so that NO html code needs to be pasted into the WP backend. You can target just about everything with CSS.

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Most websites have elements that are the same on every page. Normally the biggest difference between pages is the text in the content and heading. You create the template for WordPress, then you create pages/posts by writing the text that goes in the headings and content.

If you want to see what the back end looks like, go here: http://php.opensourcecms.com/scripts/de … =WordPress

Luminated

I see…I am pretty familiar with templates now, so that makes sense.

But for example, his Portfolio page…they are UL and LI’s…did he basically create a template for that page and told WordPress to generate the ‘posts’ as LI’s? Then he just makes posts as usual?

@Doc
    …I agree and I knew there was a better way. If I am going to copy and paste HTML into WordPress, I feel I am defeating the purposes of WordPress.

AshtonSanders
    Participant
    "Luminated" wrote:
    But for example, his Portfolio page…they are UL and LI’s…did he basically create a template for that page and told WordPress to generate the ‘posts’ as LI’s? Then he just makes posts as usual?

Yes, It’s all database driven using the WordPress functions.

Because it’s all being driven from the same database you can create a new post, and it will update all of the spots around the website that needs to be updated.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.