Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other What do you use to design with?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

So today I was posting about a CSS related subject and mentioned that I used Dreamweaver (on Windows). I’ve used it for many years. Most projects I work on (the vast majority) are 20 page or less sites with PHP and HTML. Sometimes .NET. When I’m doing .NET stuff I use Visual Studio but for my day to day I use Dreamweaver. For the style of sites I’m doing right now it seems to fit the bill just fine.

When I mentioned it I got at least one person shunning me. OK, not really shunning me but I’ve seen other remarks here and there about not using Dreamweaver. So I’m wondering…

Why NOT use Dreamweaver (is there a specific reason beyond “It sucks.” or “I hate it.”?)

What do you you use to design in?

SSchnitzler

I personally don’t think there is anything bad about Dreamweaver. Only thing I think its “hated” for, is its generation of WYSIWYG output with kinda messy HTML and inline css which is kinda bad practice for what our goal is.

If you use Dreamweaver as just a code editor with project functionality I think its a decent choice. (Especially for the limited amount of good code editors for windows)

chrisburton
    Participant

Yep, agree with @JoshWhite. I use Sublime Text for editing code but that’s not that often.

Thanks all. I’ve been using DW in some form for at least 8 or so years so I guess if you’ve only used on thing you don’t see it as “bloated, slow and clunky.” :-) I do use the built in CSS builder about 50% of the time because its quick but everything I do automated in DW I can also do by hand when I need to.

I also like that DW Integrates with Photoshop…but now I’m interested in expanding my world. :-)

Thanks for all the input and the recommendation for Sublime…I will check it out.

danieldatton

@IntegrityWebDev Check out Komodo, theres a little write up about it here http://j.mp/XPGLFs

Admittedly, its for the lazy coder, but never the less, its feature packed, easy to use and free.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.