Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS what do you think is the best way to 301 redirect my entire domain?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Eric

I developed a new site to display my demos. I could simply htaccess 301 my entire site. But then every visitor would be confused they didn’t land on their expected page. But that’s best for google. I could meta refresh after 5 seconds and say the site has moved, so good for visitors, but meta is bad for seo. I could php 301 it using the same ideas.

If you switched domain names, and you spent the last 6 years building seo for your old domain, how would you 301 redirect to your new domain? Remembering that I also want to inform visitors that I changed locations.

Thanks,
    Eric W

Senff
    Participant

Well, you kinda name all the pros and cons already — so it’s up to you to decide what you feel most comfortable with.

Personally, I would probably choose the .htaccess method. I don’t think users would be confused that easily (unless they’re USED to go to a different page and it’s all changed all of a sudden).

You could have a small message on your site somewhere that informs the user that they landed on NewDomain.com (Formerly Known As OldDomain.com) or something.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.