Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

What are you listening to while you code?

• # November 19, 2012 at 6:44 pm

For some reason i cant do anything properly without music, and its become a big part of my coding. What are yalls favorite jams to code to?

Currently i’m listening to: August Burns Red ;)

# November 19, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Any chill electronic really; Active Child, Bonobo, Chase & Status, Faithless, The Glitch Mob, Parachute Youth, Pretty Lights, Stay+, Tycho, VibeSquaD, etc.

If I feel like something a bit more amped up then I might put on Calvin Harris, Deadmau5, Flux Pavilion, Knife Party, Nero, OVERWERK, Pendulum, etc. I’m also a big fan of the mashups put together by Kap Slap.

Believe it or not, I’ll actually listen to most genres, but I find that I work best listening to the above. If it’s something that I can sing along to, my productivity decreases…

# November 19, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I used to watch movies constantly while I worked. Mostly movies I had seen as a child.

# November 19, 2012 at 7:26 pm

If it’s something that I can sing along to, my productivity decreases…

@joshuanhibbert : haha, that’s what i’m talking about!

@chrisburton, Well lets get an idea of your age with a couple movie examples?

# November 19, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I’ll be 25 tomorrow.

Problem Child (1 & 2), Children of the Corn (series), St. Elmo’s Fire, Breakfast Club, Wall Street and so on. Perfect time to watch Home Alone, though.

# November 19, 2012 at 8:37 pm

RAC, Monstercat, Telemonster

# November 19, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Usually anything chill, lounge and ambient. Jon Hopkins, Fragile State, Massive Attack, Solar Fields, compilation albums (Chill Out Lounge, Cafe Del Mar, Supperclub) and sometimes just some radio stations in iTunes.

Though every once in a while, I need some serious rock like Warrior Soul, Killing Joke or The Sisters Of Mercy.

# November 19, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Dang! Yall prefer chill music? I think its just my crazy brain, i need something loopy and crazy.
    @chrisburton, 25 tomorrow? Well happy early birthday man, and i for some reason thought you were older? Problem child was an amazing movie when i was younger, wasn’t there something in there about Kramer and if he saw something like a twinkie he got really mad or something? lol…

If yall want a spark of crazy loud music, check out Lamb of God, Pinkly Smooth, King for a Day(feat. Kellin Quinn).

Maybe i need to tone back my music and i might be able to be more creative?

Yes, Home Alone is a classic (first one)! Once you watch the movie Party Monster, well, you want ever want to see him in anything else again.
    home alone screenshot

# November 19, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Anything that doesn’t have lyrics. Could be electronic music– but more often than not it is a nice genre station on Pandora or other online radio sites like:

Classical Music
    Ambient
    Minimalist Techno

# November 19, 2012 at 10:12 pm

@JohnMotylJr Just make sure that your music doesn’t stop you from being able to ‘get in the zone’. You know when you’re in the zone because you might pause your music for a second, and then forget hit play again for the next 30 minutes! Luckily there’s an OS X app for that: http://takefiveapp.com/mac

# November 19, 2012 at 10:24 pm

@joshuanhibbert : That’s so true! Normally my habits lead me to sit down to start coding and then i look up and realize i haven’t ate anything in 12 hours and its dark out. Yeah, i do that too much!

@ben_boomer : I’ll totally check that out, i need to switch things up for sure.

# November 19, 2012 at 10:26 pm

http://musicforprogramming.net/

# November 19, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Thanks, John.

Hmm, I haven’t seen that movie in 6+ months.

# November 19, 2012 at 11:40 pm

@Senff, lol im gonna check that out..

This is kind of un-related but i keep this on my side monitor, lol idk why but sometimes its refreshing to look over and see them playing

24/7 livestream of kitties

# November 19, 2012 at 11:50 pm

@JohnMotylJr It’s weird how easy that is to watch when the kittens are playing. This site is similar: http://www.rainymood.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".