Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other What are the pros and cons of your own server?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

I was just curious to the pros and cons to having your own server. Anyone know of a decent article or have knowledge on this subject?

Senff
    Participant

Pro: you have full control — you can do whatever you want with it, whenever you want.

Con: you have full control — you’ll have to do everything yourself, and when things break, you’ll have to fix it yourself.

It’s like any other product (lease car vs. your own car, rent a house vs. owning one, etc.), I’d say…. all about control and responsibility.

aoeui
    Participant

Pro: you can do what you want with it
    Con : two major I see here

1.] one must have good knowledge about setting up server
    2.] well, it must run all the time in order to serve its content

jurotek
    Participant

Another things to consider amonghst many is:
    Hosting your site is ussually against the terms and conditions of most of ISP’s.
    Most of the providers use dynamic IP so you’ll have to find someone providing static IP.
    The reliability and efficiency will never be as good as from profesional hosting service.
    There’s possibility that it could actually cost you more to host it yourself.

chrisburton
    Participant

Appreciate it, guys.

cnwtx

You can also use a dynamic DNS service (dyndns.org) to set up a server on a dynamic DNS connection. There are a lot of great resources out there for setting one up. One really big advantage is that all the software for running a server (including the OS) is free, and open source. It also doesn’t need very much CPU power, so you can usually get by with second hand hardware. All this allows you to get a good-sized site up very cheaply.

Here’s a good tutorial:
    http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/php/how-to-setup-a-dedicated-web-server-for-free/

chrisburton
    Participant

Thanks for the link and info @cnwtx

cnwtx

You’re welcome!

JoshWhite

@christopherburton are you thinking about setting up a physical box somewhere and doing it that way? Or doing a dedicated server?

If it’s a physical box, I know 2 people who have done this. I can tell you they really like the flexibility and it does become quite profitable because you are in full control of the resources and you can just scale it as needed. The big problems come in terms of software upgrades, backup plans, if something ever goes wrong you are always on call to go fix it, etc. Continually updating things like PHP can break all kinds of legacy code people used. While that stuff happens all the time, you being the guy with the server ends up getting all blame.

Hope that helps :)

chrisburton
    Participant

@JoshWhite Actually, this post was more about curiosity rather than me actually going forward with it. I wasn’t sure what the benefits were to having your own rather than going through a hosting company.

Thanks for the info, by the way

cnwtx

One other thing: If you’re doing this for your own website, it’s much easier than if you’re doing it as a service for hire. If it’s just for you, you only need to install the software you need, otherwise, you have to install everything they want.

TheNekoMimiGamer
    Participant

Owning your own server is a good thing because only you have control over it, so you can customize it for your personal needs.
    However it is also a big drawback because it requires you to be knowledgeable of servers and server software.
    If it breaks down, you have to fix it yourself
    You are pretty much better off renting a server; it is less expensive and you do not have to do all of the maintenance.

By the way, am I the only one who has noticed that every single comment in this post, with the only exceptions being the person who created this topic and the first commenter has been flagged for inappropriate content?
    None of them even have inappropriate content; not even a little bit.
    I find that highly suspicious and unfair, and in the gaming community we call that poor sportsmanship…

Senff
    Participant

By the way, am I the only one who has noticed that every single comment in this post, with the only exceptions being the person who created this topic and the first commenter has been flagged for inappropriate content?

Happens very often, unfortunately. Either people don’t understand what the “Report” link is for…or trolls. Can’t do all too much to avoid that, I’m afraid.

TheNekoMimiGamer
    Participant

@Senff Makes sense.

Paulie_D

I’ve gone through and “Unreported” them, I have no idea why that happened in the first place.

It’s not like we’re Stack Overflow. 😈

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.