Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Website not displaying text?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Soopaflyguy

Hello,
    I purchased a cheap web template many moons ago and a colleague of mine at the time said he could get it changed to display my details instead of the Latin content that came with it.
    He managed to do it perfectly as he showed me on his local machine but as soon as he uploaded it to the host GoDaddy.com, the text is replaced by two animated boxes?
    Unfortunately he is seconded to Australia through our company and I don’t have a contact number for him.
    I’m stuck and need to have my website up and running so I can try and make some money freelance.
    The web address is http://www.lastmincad.com/ and if need be, i can upload the source code if it helps.
    I would REALLY appreciate some help if anyone feels kind enough!

Thanks in advance

Paulie_D

Frankly it looks like the site hasn’t been populated with content.

What I THINK is supposed to happen is that when you click on once of the four boxes, it populates the ‘floating boxes’ area with content from a div with a class of ‘cascade-window-content’….except there is nothing in that div.

While it’s waiting it shows that aimated gif as a ‘pre-loader’.

Soopaflyguy

I’m a complete numpty when it comes to things like this, is there an easy way to display the content or is it not as easy as that?
    Any pointers would be gratefully appreciated.

TheDoc

> Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 405 (Method Not Allowed)

From here:

“The ’405 Method Not Allowed’ error would appear if you are submitting a POST request to a page that does not support post. Usually, this would occur if you are submitting a POST to a .html page.”

http://support.godaddy.com/groups/web-hosting/forum/topic/405-method-not-allowed-message/

The error that is occurring looks something like this:

POST http://www.lastmincad.com/page/green.html 405 (Method Not Allowed)

If you’re trying to retrieve the content, you shouldn’t be using POST anyways. To the best of my knowledge, you should be using GET.

Soopaflyguy

Okay, that makes a little bit of sense to me, I gather you can see the source from your browser, as I said I know very, very little when it comes to web design so would there be an easy way of changing this?

Paulie_D

You can see the source code from ANY browser…just rightclick anywhere.

Soopaflyguy

It seems odd that it displays correctly on my local machine but not once it’s been uploaded to godaddy?

TheDoc

Viewing source and opening Inspector are two different things, really.

If you want to see the error that I see when clicking on your links, open up Chrome and right click anywhere on the page and select ‘Inspect Element’. Once the inspector is up you can go to the Console tab and see any errors that are running (you’ll also see that your Twitter code is throwing an error).

As far as changing it goes, I couldn’t actually find where the AJAX call is being made because the theme is bundled with *so many* JS files – I might be able to dig later today, but hopefully somebody else can help you out in the mean time.

Soopaflyguy

I’d appreciate if you or anyone could assist, it’s been melting my brain for days now.
    Thanks everyone for all your help so far!

tomrogers123

Ok. To clarify this a little…

Each piece of content that goes in the sections is not within the source of the page itself but is instead loaded in with some kind of JavaScript. It looks like @TheDoc is correct in that blue.html is the file that contains the content for the blue panel that cannot be loaded (hence an empty page). If that support quote is correct, the simplest fix would be to change the extension on all your filenames from .html to .php.

More abstractly, I would strongly advise cleaning up your site a bit. There are more than 10 separate JS files being loaded. This is going to spell disaster for performance as well as making it really hard to work out where problems are coming from. You could therefore improve this by combining all the jQuery into 1 or 2 compressed files and doing the same for the multiple CSS requests. Arguably, these things are just symptoms of the biggest issue as far as the site being next to useless when JavvaScript is disabled.

I know I sure criticized a lot but in doing so I am trying to help. :)

Soopaflyguy

I can give this a go but it won’t be till I get out from work. I’ll post tomorrow to tell you how I got on.
    Fingers crossed!

Soopaflyguy

Thanks Mr Rogers, all help is appreciated, especially when you’re as thick as a whale omlette like I am!

Soopaflyguy

Well I renamed all HTML pages to PHP but the issue still remains?
    Anybody else have any other ideas?

Soopaflyguy

Guys, a big thanks to all who assisted. Just changing the .html extension to .php (and in the index file) has resolved it!!!
    One thing though, the first page ‘About Me’ does not show the content when opened in IE7? It’s okay in any other browser?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.