Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Website feedback

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    olivern
    Participant

Hi all, I would really appreciate your feedback on my website in terms of design and feel of the site, http://www.giftshuffle.co.uk

Thank you

Atelierbram
    Participant

@olivern Where is this ‘design’ informed by? Can you give an example of a webshop-design you like? Can you say on which CMS you are, and if so, if this is constricting choices you have to make?

Think there is room for improvement though, for example color, right now the eye goes immediately to the top-left corner, this logo has two colours in ‘complementary contrast’ : over-screaming any other contrast. For me green with white looks ‘fresh’, green with grey ‘not so fresh anymore’.

The look of the grid product pictures feels incoherent and undecided to me, by which I mean there are some that are ‘isolated on empty white background’ others have a ‘background environment context’: both can work, but better choose one: and make this decision based on a well thought out vision; for example when you like atmosphere : go for extra background-context, for clean information do the ‘isolation on a white background’. (Also, when you would go for the latter, the white on dark-grey background text may work, right now it feels too boxed in to me (for it doesn’t work on the others).

There are other inconsistencies too; like the top-right icons, two of them have this mirror shadow effect at the bottom, but the search icon does not. Also fonts are not explicitly declared, or just not there: am not seeing ‘Gotham’ but the default font for sans-serif on my machine.

Don’t think this dark-grey background-pattern on large screen (on the sides) is doing any favours to the feel of the design either.

Hope this feedback was constructive.

Smek30
    Participant

Hi I am a complete newbie of css and html design but I would have loved to see a side bar on the right?? Thats just my thing I really love sites with that option. You can put in sections like
    sign up for my email, facebook feed, twitter links and spots for adverts to come on. Just an idea wish you all the best. We are hoping to launch soon and I have much work to do and much to learn about designing websites. Maybe also top menu not all that clear as I found myself looking for the menu from top to bottom again a few times for maybe more options on it?? I could be way off the mark but just an idea.
    Wish you all the best by smek30

olivern
    Participant

Thanks for your feedback guys, I have found it all very helpful so far. Going to implement some of your ideas.

Atelierbram
    Participant

Have some fun with it too. Not to be preachy, but what I like you to take away from my remarks, is that design is all about making choices, thousands of them, for each little thing, and that those choices should be based on, or informed by, vision , (concept) and experience, applied to the usecases of this design. Each time you find yourself avoiding to make a decision on something, the design will turn out less convincing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.