Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other webdesign fear…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kb2tfa

can someone share there experience with getting into web design?

I am starting out, I can do some "half decent" sites, and from time to time people will ask me to do a site for them.

However, I freeze with fear: am i good enough, how to I start, etc…

So I’m wondering if I should continue building my own sites, building experience? maybe the fears will die down after I get more time under my belt.

Of should i just jump into the fire, and force my way to figure out what they want.

Any book suggestions would be great also.

I only want to give the person the best, making them happy, but I’ve never done it for money.

thanks Ron G

TheDoc

One thing I had to realize very early on is that what you think may not be the best website ever could certainly be exactly what somebody is looking for.

Having said that, it’s important to continue practicing on your own. I started out by looking at local companies’ websites and then simply upgrading them. It wasn’t an actual project (as in, they didn’t hire me or anything), it was just simply a way for me to practice and have something to measure up against. Was my redesign worth it? Does it look better? Is the functionality improved?

If people ask you to do something for them, by all means take it on. It’ll improve your skills tremendously when it’s not just yourself that you have to let down!

Rob MacKay
    Participant

yup have to echo what everyone has said and say – you just have to grab the bull by the horns. Once you get going it gets better, and you learn so much more when you have to! :)

The best jobs are the ones that scare you, not only for the challenge, but for the satisfaction and improvement you gain.

kb2tfa

thanks guys

What everyone said is absolutely correct. In your free time practice coding as much as you can :D Try to innovate with your code.. try new things.. in this process you will discover your weak points, improve them automatically and also get to learn loads of stuffs which will give you the confidence to work on any project that comes your way :)

Then a time will come when you will be looking for more challenging projects lol ;)

All the best!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.