Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Web Site Design Tips?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sire

Hey there!
    Just got here as a registered user although i watch your PodCast Chris.
    Keep it up.
    I would like your help on a matter that i haven’t figured out yet.
    Which resolution should a site have?
    I am struggling to find out a good suggestion but i can’t.
    I am planning on making a new site (Drupal or Joomla) and although i have the design in my mind i cannot conclude to THE proper resolution.
    I am also going to spend some money on Photoshop, web design, CSS and Flash books and i would love to listen to your suggestions.
    What about this book?
    And about Flash this one!

AshtonSanders
    Participant
    "Sire" wrote:
    Which resolution should a site have?

You are safe to use a max width of 1000px or 100%. Height doesn’t matter. Most monitors are at least 1028px wide now-a-days, but it depends on your market. If you have a LOT of old people who will be accessing the site, 800px wide may be the way to go.

(If you’re talking about picture resolution, I would use 75 dpi.)

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

960px wide is another popular site width as it’s easily divisible for 2 and 3 column layouts.

The site I’m currently working on uses 100% width for header and footer and 960px width for the content, as I think it gives a nice mixture of the two design styles whilst being a little bit easier to design from a non-pro POV.

Hugo

1280×900 is a very popular laptop resolution….

EamonnMac

Smashing Magazine did a very good article on this not so long ago. You can find it @

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/06 … e-for-you/

Contains some intersting links to other articles as well tied into the same subject. Well worth looking at IMHO.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.