Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Web Portfolio Critique

• # April 26, 2011 at 1:51 am

http://attilahajzer.host-ed.net/

Please tell me what you think of my new website portfolio update.

i decided to update it because i felt that my old one was way too bland and grey, not enough color or exitement. so i spiced it up a bunch!

please tell me if there is anything missing.

# April 26, 2011 at 9:33 am

Simple layout, but…..
    You need to loose the grass background….sorry but that is 90’s web.
    Also you have a lot of margin issues…scan the site on all the browsers

# April 26, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Site looks fine.

I would lose the grass background though, even white would be better.
    Also using an underline on the links in your nav bar is a little old fashioned and ugly looking, usually it is better to change the background color or something along those lines.

But I do like your choice of colors (except for the page background) it looks very nice and clean.

# April 26, 2011 at 4:02 pm

okay so i just removed the grass. but now white is way too bland. i cant just use a plain color..
    its too plain. im running into my problem with my last portfolio hahaha background issues and i really dont want to use stripes again. any suggestions. grey looks like like shit to

# April 26, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Definitely get rid of the lawn!
    Ditto on the underlined links!
    Your sidebar looks a little cramped, you have enough room leave some space above and below the blue box. A rollover effect would look nice on the social icons and on the links. I’m not crazy about the offset headers.

# April 26, 2011 at 4:39 pm

ive decided to accept your advice , but sadly go against it, becaus i feel i am satisfied with it. for now. but i do truly appreciate it. thank you so much and please let me know what browser were you having the margin problem in!

# April 26, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Your site says you enjoy smashing magazine… I would try checking out the inspiration section of their site http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/11/11/designing-memorable-websites-showcase-of-creative-designs/

Your designs are too basic. Your portfolio looks like you just drew boxes in illustrator and placed text over them. I really don’t know what to say, your bio says you have 4 years of experience. This isn’t the site of someone with four years of design experience.

Sorry for the negative feedback.

# April 26, 2011 at 7:13 pm

I have to agree with Chrislopes, but then again, we all have to start somewhere. don’t be discouraged by some negative criticism. And it takes a wile to find your style.

some where talking about removing the Grass, I say, if you like it, please use it, but try to work on the the “grass-theme”, and design something that works in harmony with the grass. google “green website” or something just to get some inspiration, and go to the images section. works a charm for me when Im stuck. (I don’t use “green website” every time :) )

no idea reinventing the wheel.

I do have a code comment: I don’t like to see the scrolling bars if they are not in use you could remove the body{overflow:scrolling;} all together. or if you’d like to make sure it does scroll set it to body{overflow:auto;}

Cheers

# April 26, 2011 at 7:23 pm

you have nothing to be sorry for. i appreciate the bluntness. and its coding that ive been doing for 4 years.

i started on myspace . lol good times. then moved on the small stuff. ive only been doing graphic design for a little while. not too long.

im trying to learn new things. but really, its not easy. and im glad you helped me look at it from a new way.

# April 26, 2011 at 7:45 pm

The brown is too dark and the orange text shadow makes it look like something is wrong with the headers.

I also would do some sort of rollover for the links in the nav bar.

# April 26, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Sometimes you just have to go with your flow. Very few people are design geniuses and talented back end developers at the same time. It’s like being an artist and an engineer – Michael Angelo was one.
    That’s just how the brain functions and depends on where your interests and innate talents lie.

By all means learn about design, it has rules that you need to know too. My guess is if you started learning coding before design, then you are more left brained than right. Otherwise you would have been using Photoshop and Illustrator and other graphic programs more.

# April 27, 2011 at 12:41 am

@virtual. coders are at some points more creative then designers. Artist and engineers are the same….they just use a different canvas. I am an artist on both canvases and it all depends on the mood i’m in for which palette I dip my brush in.

# April 27, 2011 at 12:48 am

I’d get rid of the 3d looking text, not feeling that at all.

I’d also incorporate your resume in the about me section if you must include a resume. The resume tab seems redundant, but that’s me.

I also would get rid of the links at the bottom. That’s usually useful if you have a bigger home page which needs to be scrolled. Your page has no footer and no scrolling is needed so links at the top is good enough.

I’d also remove the text “sidebar”

# April 27, 2011 at 9:48 am

and THANK YOU @springlab. much appreciated haha. but take a look at the 2 designs.

im going to make a few more. and then decide. hopefully can get a really good one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".