Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Web development in China

• # August 26, 2009 at 11:45 pm

I am considering moving to China. Youtube Flickr Twiter are blocked. I can deal with that… barely. Are there other filters when uploading-blogging. Could I continue as a web designer there?

# August 27, 2009 at 2:38 am

why are they blocked?

Rob
    # August 27, 2009 at 3:59 am
    "cybershot" wrote:
    why are they blocked?

1 word.

Communism.

# August 27, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Aye, as are quite a few google searches (for instance, you cannot find results for Tiananmen Square).

It’s a good question to be true. I don’t see any reason why you wouldn’t be able to continue being a web designer, but you would just have to be careful what kind of websites/blogs you design and what kind of material you use because it’s all being monitored.

# August 27, 2009 at 2:54 pm
    "Robskiwarrior" wrote:
    "cybershot" wrote:
    why are they blocked?

1 word.

Communism.

You are confusing communism with totalitarianism. While the two are almost always hand-in-hand in practice, these are separate ideological concepts.

# August 27, 2009 at 3:25 pm
    "jlizarraga" wrote:
    "Robskiwarrior" wrote:
    "cybershot" wrote:
    why are they blocked?

1 word.

Communism.

You are confusing communism with totalitarianism. While the two are almost always hand-in-hand in practice, these are separate ideological concepts.

Good point. Myanmar springs to mind.

# August 27, 2009 at 5:09 pm

ya but aren’t these technologies harmless? Oh, I guess the country doesn’t want the people to be able to tell the world how they feel. So no youtube.

# August 27, 2009 at 7:33 pm

If you want to be a web developer in China, for Chinese companies, that should be fine. But with the way websites are being created now (facebook and twitter integration for example), you might find things to be rather difficult.

# September 11, 2009 at 10:58 pm

I think this will get me past all the "Great Walls"

http://www.personalvpn.com/index.php?mktsrc=dbd0777

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".