Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Web Design Degree Useless?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

@Erik, Alen and “__” are two of the most knowledgeable coders on these forums. They both use IDEs as far as I know. Which is like a full-featured development environment. Then, I know other people, who don’t frequent these forums, who are just as competent in my opinion… and they use the bare minimum. I mean, the most basic of setups. It’s kind of up to you and that’s part of the fun! There’s NO ONE WAY! The web is pretty ubiquitous. Write code in whatever way works for you and if done properly… it will work in a browser! Yay!

shaneisme
    Participant

I write code by tattooing binary on subcontractors… it’s the only way to fly.

nixnerd
    Participant

@shaneisme I heard the BEST one ever today on #vim:

I hire Chuck Norris to punch the space-time continuum until the ripples cause fragments of my hard drive to form code.

nixnerd
    Participant

A few hipsters I know are into the whole analog thing. They’re taking it back to punch cards:

Alen
    Participant

I’m just trying to make the point that tools help us solve issues. If someone uses piece of software you don’t like it doesn’t inherently make it bad. You might have had bad experience with it. That doesn’t mean someone else might not reap any benefit from it. DW is bloated sure. But why is that such a bad thing. You still have full control of the code. Being feature rich is not a negative. And it’s not about the tool it’s about how you use it. I’ve been working with DW for a while, we still support legacy projects requiring us to work with DW templates. Whenever I need to do my job it does what I need it to do. Why is that bad?

For me it was a difficult jump from WYSIWYG editor when I was just a beginner. It takes time to memorize everything. Even now I’m still like “what’s the table syntax???”.

I moved away from DW when I felt comfortable. And I ended up on ST2 and now on ST3, but I’m more and more using PhpStom. And I guess that’s bad to, cause it’s bloated.

We’re often in our own bubble and think whatever tool we use must be good for that guy. I just have a problem with this thinking. You have to experiment and try new things. What works for me might not work for you, and wiceversa.

nixnerd
    Participant

Alen, couldn’t agree more. We’re all just joking around.

@Erik
    , you’ll find that NOBODY has your same setup or workflow. Literally no one. They’re all totally unique. If DW works for you… use it.

I do take slight issue with this:

DW is bloated sure. But why is that such a bad thing.

I’m not really into bloat when I can avoid it. But again… that’s personal taste. The biggest package on my entire system is Chromium… by far. If I have to wait longer than like a tenth of a second for a program to open… I can’t even…

Alen
    Participant

I guess. But bloat is not translated to code.

It’s just on your computer.

We no longer run on 512MB of RAM!

It’s like having empty 4TB drive and you’re worried about Celine Dion album that might take up to 120MB of space.

:D

nixnerd
    Participant

And one reason I don’t recommend DW is just the cost. Plain and simple. I really like to let people know that the barrier to entry in this industry is EXTREMELY low. Fancy stuff not needed. You can grab a cheap laptop off Craigslist and start coding at Starbucks. It’s really that simple. You could be homeless and still have a freelance business :)

nixnerd
    Participant

@alenabdula… you have a point… for most people. I set up my system with a very small root directory (15 GB) and no LVM or BTRFS. So… for me, bloat means a fresh install… which I don’t have time for. Ha ha ha.

Guess I could convert ext4 to btrfs but I’m afraid to break something.

And besides… No DW on Linux even if I wanted it.

Edit: Oh and Celine Dion is always worth it.

Alen
    Participant

I’d venture to say that 85% of DWs is pirated anyways. But cost is one of the major factors. Although, Creative Cloud does exists but tieng your self to monthly subscription === expenses.

chrisburton
    Participant

But some of my points were not even addressed. I’m not knocking on DW solely based on my experiences but experiences that many people seem to have. Doesn’t that show, at least for experienced coders like us, that DW probably isn’t the best tool to learn with?

Alen
    Participant

I’m the proof that it works. That is my point.

Alen
    Participant

Skip to 14.20 of this http://vimeo.com/97454683

HTML tables were hard back in the day man!! :)

chrisburton
    Participant

But that is you! I sure as hell didn’t have the same experience. I learned how to code when I studied the syntax and created my own projects with Notepad++. I think @Joe_Temp does have a point in it being bloated because it can certainly be confusing and overwhelming to beginners. Think WordPress for learning PHP. That’s all I’m saying. I do believe there are tools that can be more beneficial and efficient than others.

HTML tables were hard back in the day man!! :)

I can honestly and thankfully say that I was not around when tables were used for layout.

Alen
    Participant

But that is you! I sure as hell didn’t have the same experience.

Others didn’t have same experience as two of us. Others have diferent style of learning. This is my whole point. If DW has possibility of being beneficial, why not use it, because some guy on the forum said so. This logic just seems very destructive.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 115 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.