Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Web Design Degree Useless?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    Erik
    Participant

Hey, I asked Chris Coyier this on Twitter, but wanted other peoples thoughts as well.

Do you feel a associate degree in web design at a tech school now days is out of date and useless somewhat?

Basically if I’m self taught to a good degree can a person still get employment without a degree?

Thanks

shaneisme
    Participant

You can, but you have to show your work.

With a degree, especially a bachelors, you can get a decent gig without real-world experience.

It also depends on the program, at first glance a web design associates at a tech college is probably not going to be the best in the world… probably. If it is, it won’t be a waste of time, especially when you think about networking.

I’ve got about 2.5 years of a bachelors and quit, but this was back in the late 90’s. It took me a while to land a real gig and even then I was paid less. At this point in my career, unless I was going to a high level position at a place like Google, I don’t think I’ll need one.

nixnerd
    Participant

At this point in my career, unless I was going to a high level position at a place like Google, I don’t think I’ll need one.

Even then… depending on what projects you’ve contributed to… you probably still won’t need one.

However… I’d like to draw a distinction between web design and web development.

What sorts of things do you want to build? That will roughly tell us where you fall and what you should learn.

Erik
    Participant

Well, I guess I’m kind of in the “Flip-Flop” mode right now.

By this I mean I’m 29 with no degree and wanted to find a career in something fun that I would love to do. I mean if your career not fun a person will hate it.

I started to do some WordPress sites for a friend of mine and their businesses and found I really enjoy it.

I basically want to get into a career tech to where I can make some alright money.

I just figured I would never get a good job without a degree in something, I’m open to learn and try new tech based careers.

nixnerd
    Participant

Dude… this is one of the only careers on the planet when you can make $100k+ with nothing but hard work. No degree required.

Alen
    Participant

I regret every single penny from $86k that I paid for college. Clearly partying and pussy are not worth that much. :D

But seriously, you could invest $50k for a year to be mentored by someone and learn way more.

There are so many video subscription services that will expose you to way more.

You could intern and scrub floors for 6 months, gain some experience, work on your portfolio, and go from there.

You could invest some time and build up sample of your work, demonstrating your skill set and apply from jobs that way.

If I had to go back to school, I would go get a business degree, or communications, or something to do with finances.

Erik
    Participant

NIX: Dude… this is one of the only careers on the planet when you can make $100k+ with nothing but hard work. No degree required.

Well, since you put it that way I should cancel my student loans and drop out before the school year starts. (Next Week)

@Alen
    I have been using Codecademy and just started to use Pluralsight which I have learned a lot from!

I guess I just feel lost on where to start.. it’s a huge tech ocean out there.

nixnerd
    Participant

Well, since you put it that way I should cancel my student loans and drop out before the school year starts. (Next Week)

You should. And I mean that in all seriousness. I’m not joking. Some people genuinely enjoy the academic experience. If that’s you… fine. But I don’t advise it.

I guess I just feel lost on where to start.. it’s a huge tech ocean out there.

I know the feeling.

1.5 years ago… I was in a different industry altogether. Like… not even kind of related. Now, I freelance full time. You can absolutely teach yourself all you need to know.

If I were to say what you should learn… I’d say HTML, CSS and Javascript. If you can learn those three core skills… you can be a front-end dev. Should take you about 6 months if you really buckle down and start building stuff. By stuff… I mean whatever you find interesting or cool.

shaneisme
    Participant

Don’t get lost on where to start, stick with the basics.

If you want to code a web page, learn HTML/CSS to begin with. Once you’re coming up with ideas that can’t solve, start bringing some JavaScript in. I recommend most people start with using a library like jQuery so they get their minds wrapped around it.

I wasn’t sure if you mentioned design purposefully, or if it was just the name of the degree. If you want to do design, that’s a different thing altogether, but knowing HTML/CSS and JS will only help you understand the bones of how the web works – and thus make you a better designer.

As for the $100k jobs without a degree, here in the Bay Area and probably NY that’s true… elsewhere, the ceiling is a bit lower. Of course, when everyone finally figures out we can do this from anywhere I’ll finally be able to leave the bay and not be faced with the insanity of my rent. I’m off on a tangent…

nixnerd
    Participant

If you want to code a web page, learn HTML/CSS to begin with. Once you’re coming up with ideas that can’t solve, start bringing some JavaScript in. I recommend most people start with using a library like jQuery so they get their minds wrapped around it.

Sooooooo much of this. You’ll find that to make something you want to make… you need something else. But Shane is right. Start out with these two and get reeeeeeeally good. Then, move on to jQuery. Don’t jump the gun. Absorb all you can on those two things. It will pay off.

I know other freelancers who charge in the $150 – $200 per hour range. They are glorified front-ends that know how to dabble in databases. I’m not there… but then again… I haven’t really tried aggressively sell new accounts. Mainly because I can’t handle any more work. Which… I guess is a good problem to have?

Shane is right. The Bay Area and NYC are super saturated. As for the ceiling though… the ceiling is really as high as you want to go in tech… because this could be a spring board for a startup for you. I hope it is :)

Alen
    Participant

Employers hire people to make them money. It’s simple as that. Approach every job interview with this mindset and you’ll do much better.

If you demonstrate you skills well and show solid portfolio, you’ll never have problems finding jobs.

You just need to buckle down and start learning. Select the medium that fits you, maybe for you school is the answer, maybe video tutorials, maybe books, idk. It all comes down what fits you.

Where to start?

Well, first explore what interests you. Figure out what skills are needed to do the job. And start learning. There is no one way forward. Everything is so interrelated. Eventually once you gain enough experience you’ll have a better understanding what to do next.

Also, knowing the journey kinda sucks! Go see what you like. IMO you have to have some level of curiosity to survive doing this for a long time. Tech changes rapidly. What I learned in school has no value today!!! You have to take that into consideration. Most colleges, tech schools, are more about communications, and networking.

nixnerd
    Participant

Shane… now I know why you eat tostadas. Epic street food in SF/Bay Area.

nixnerd
    Participant

What I learned in school has no value today!!!

This is why I’m not a huge fan of books. They decay. Not that books are bad… I own a few. And some principles are still relevant. But… while this may be a vast overstatement, I like to say:

Once a book has been printed on tech… it’s obsolete.

This isn’t totally true… but it almost is. There’s so much stuff that we use DAILY that wasn’t even around 2 years ago. I’ve found that in this industry, you need an insatiable hunger to learn. It NEVER stops. Ever. I think people who go to school for this can get a false sense of security and get complacent. I know for a fact if I don’t keep learning… I’ll be out of a job. So… count the cost in that respect. But as for school… I don’t think you need it.

shaneisme
    Participant

Indeed, and if anyone wants to chat food in the bay, let me know haha

One thing I forgot: if you’re a reader check out everything here: http://www.abookapart.com/ – reading all those books will give you an education in making a web design business like no other.

Erik
    Participant

@NIX That was a great post about the treadmill feeling.

Do you guys know of a better way to learn these skills as far as software etc.. I mean I feel I’m pretty good at HTML and CSS, just started to learn Javascript.

I started out learning when I built a site with Weebly and messed around with the CSS and found it fun. Then jumped into WordPress and just edit with CSS and mess with some PHP code.

I guess what I’m asking is.. is this a ok way to learn, or should I be learning to build from scratch?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 115 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.