Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Web design career online?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    nhereveri

Regards, I try to get certified in some sort of degree in a graphic design career (focusing on the web).

In my country (Chile) is a newly opened field, and frankly the curriculum of career is very poor. In fact the issues more than the know, so I’m looking for something I really serve to learn and can give me some kind of international certification.

Any suggestions?

i3a1l3y

It’s difficult to understand your question exactly, but if you are just looking to learn some basics around front-end web development take a look at w3 schools. I found their tutorials extremely useful when starting out:

http://www.w3schools.com/

nhereveri

In short, I need international certificates evidencing my knowledge.

__
    Participant

I would [recommend against](http://w3fools.com) w3schools. They are **not** an authoritative institution, and their curriculum is disorganized, incomplete, misleading, and often outright wrong.

(Yes, there is useful information, of course, but it’s not worth trying to sort through the bad parts.)

If you are looking for certifications, w3schools is the wrong place to spend your money. They are not affiliated with the w3c (the web standards body) and their “certifications” are not recognized or valued by employers.

My first recommendation for learning HTML/CSS/javascript is google’s [From The Ground Up](http://code.google.com/edu/submissions/html-css-javascript/) series.

yoyo
    Participant

@traq

thanks for introducing “from the ground up” series, Is there any certifications for web designing?

also i want to start my career as a web designer, can u list what are the skills required to be a web designer ?

__
    Participant

> also i want to start my career as a web designer, can u list what are the skills required to be a web designer ?

make good websites : )

Seriously, that’s it. Some employers will be looking for university degrees, but *all* employers will be looking for competency. Chris Coyier says “just build websites”; he’s right. Make sure you’re always learning, practicing, and making something better.

chrisburton
    Participant

Certification is not required nor highly respected. They are meaningless. And I also agree with @traq.

r2jeff

Agreed with Traq. so mr. traq m also learning css now a days by my self with helping with 1stoptutorials.com n w3school and also working with my own website. now m stuck with that. i build my home page with the help css now trun second page n m stock. do i need to make separate css for next page. plz i need some helping hand.

jeff

chrisburton
    Participant

@r2jeff Create a new discussion and explain your problem in detail.

r2jeff

thANKS .. i did post.. cheers mate..

seeman

W3school is the best tutorial to learn web designing online.I must recommend to all my friends this useful site.

Zoom
    Participant

I don’t know about Chile, but in my country most certificates that you can get online are not really valued.

Take a degree in a related field (Graphic Design if you are more of a “Web Designer” or computer science if you are more of a “Web Developer”).

For actually learning the specifics of Web Design / Web Development you can buy good books, take online courses (e.g. Lynda.com) and follow websites such as this one for the latest developments.

Then build a portfolio of a few well made websites.

A degree in something like Graphic Design or Computer Science + a good portfolio will be everything that you need and any employer will appreciate that way more than any certificate you can get online.

__
    Participant

@seeman – see my post (and conversation) above.

> I would [recommend against](http://w3fools.com) w3schools.

nhereveri

Personally I have spent more than a decade to web development, first as an amateur and about five years ago professionally, using my degree in computer science.

Currently study graphic design, although slightly oriented web design. It’s a little twist in my working life, I hope to make a good choice. At least I’ll try.

Thanks for the feedback.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.