Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

web browser compatibility

• # January 30, 2009 at 10:42 am

I’ve discovered that the reason my new website isn’t showing correctly on different pc’s is probably as the code is read differently depending what browser you are using.

I use IE at work and it looks fine, this is what I have created it in. Not sure what i am using at home but on my laptop all the images and menu jumps of the screen plus some of the images do not show at all. I’ve just downloaded firefox and a whole new host of problems have arisen looking at it on there!

So, my question is.. if I have set up my HTML code in IE is there some coding I can put in to make it accessible across all browsers?

I’ve been pulling my hair out with this and have made several postings to different forums but nobody has offered me any advice, i’m a complete novice with all this and would really appreciate any guidance out there!

http://www.artandescape.com/index.htm

# January 30, 2009 at 11:17 am

I always code for Firefox first (or Safari when I’m at home). Once my design is done, I check IE7. Usually only very minor tweaks need to be done for IE7 if any at all. Then I check Firefox2. Then the big one…. I check IE6.

IE6 will cause the most people problems because it is an antiquated browser that needs (far too often) lots of work arounds (hacks) to make things display properly.

Quote:
    So, my question is.. if I have set up my HTML code in IE is there some coding I can put in to make it accessible across all browsers?

I don’t think I’ve ever heard that question before! haha

The reason I laugh is because IE is… well, to be quite frank, it’s a piece of shit. I think IE8 will fix many (MANY) of the problems that currently surround the IE platform, but since roughly 20% of the world still uses a browser that is turning 8 years old this year, we’re bound to still have problems.

If I get some time today I can have a quick run through your code, but hopefully somebody else does before I do (busy day).

# February 5, 2009 at 5:15 am

Thanks for the response Doc, I did think my question hoping there was some magic code to fix it would be pushing it but worth asking! if you do have time to run through my code that would be much appreciated

cheers
    Nikki

# February 5, 2009 at 1:10 pm
    "n1kk1" wrote:
    Thanks for the response Doc, I did think my question hoping there was some magic code to fix it would be pushing it but worth asking! if you do have time to run through my code that would be much appreciated

cheers
    Nikki

Oh there are code snippets/hacks, but they are all for IE, because that is the browser that causes the most headaches.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".