Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Want to code a software product and sell it?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    JamesBarnsley
    Participant

I am PHP programmer, just wondering if any of you people would like to get together and make something and sell it.

The idea being in 1 or 2 or 3 or 10 years time, we simply maintain the software and live off the profits.

sliver37

lol

chrisburton
    Participant

Why did the chicken cross the road?

JamesBarnsley
    Participant

No takers then. :(

TT_Mark

Do you have an idea, or are you simply looking to join in with someone who has an idea? How many years coding experience do you have? What other projects have you worked on?

sliver37

Yeah as TT_Mark pointed out. You need to be much more specific with your proposal than just saying lets make something and sell it.

My previous comment was useless so here is a little advice:

“I am a PHP programmer” doesn’t tell us much, echoing hello world is technically coding, though doesn’t do much towards creating something worth selling.

List the idea you have, not specifics, just show that you do in fact have an idea worth hearing (if that’s the case). Countless people want the same thing you do, regular posts of selling something and living off the fortune that’s guaranteed to ensue are floating around..

Anyways, best of luck.

noahgelman
    Participant

I had an idea a while ago for a program that you would give it a mock design, and it would spit out all the code for it. It would give you a folder with everything properly arranged inside.

Like it would be able to tell where the navigation is on the design and where content is, what would have to be images, etc. From there it would just construct it with elements and css.

Of course it wouldnt be perfect and you would have to go in and edit a couple things it but it would be faster than doing all of it by hand.

Some of the big obvious problems is:
    how the program can differentiate which parts should be built with what elements?
    can the program use good css?

Basically theres a ton of issues. And it’s not like something like this hasn’t been attempted before.

chrisburton
    Participant

@noahgelman, so basically a site builder but building from scratch instead of pre-made templates. good idea.

noahgelman
    Participant

@Chris,

Yeah, basically. You would toss in a psd. or png mock or whatever, it may give you an option to highlight certain areas to make it easier on the program (like you would drag select a rectangle around the nav and click a “navigation” button so when the program does it’s thing, it already knows where to look for the nav).

And then examining the picture it’ll create all the divs, lists, css, images, filepaths, folders, etc.

There would be a bunch of settings to get the generated files in the format the user wants.
    Like does the css go in the root or in it’s own file. Do you like to files locally? Just a bunch of stuff.

If there was a team dedicated to getting something like this up and running, I would certainly want to be apart of it.

TT_Mark

Is it possible to examine a PSD like that? I assume you would *have* to define areas because surely the code to parse those kind of files would be under Adobe lock and key.

I actually managed a basic JQuery UI draw squares and generate HTML/CSS div layout from it. Nice and simple, but everything was absolutely positioned. Would need to be improved to read divs top left to bottom right

noahgelman
    Participant

Idk, maybe just a jpeg would work? But then it couldnt get some of the images it might need. I guess as long as it has layers intact?

Anyways, this idea could never go anywhere. Too hard to do. Fireworks can kind of do it, but it’s all in tables

Vinnix

Haha, the way he posted it sounded like he was a royal prince looking for someone to hold his inheritance money, and will give you a percentage!

No, I like the optimism, but lets be real…No one lives off profits!

I also think its funny that other people are coming up with ideas, lol.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.