Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Video vs Text tutorials

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    cwork
    Participant

Do you guys prefer Text tutorials with Screen shots, etc, or Video tutorials?

Is there still a need for Text tutorials with so many video options available?

thoughts?

chrisburton
    Participant

Depends on what type of tutorials you’re speaking of. I like both. I don’t really have a preference but sometimes I don’t want to hear someone talk. I’d rather sit quietly and read. This is especially true in the morning while having a latte. But that’s just me. And other times I wish I could see a video example of what the person was referring to in a specific portion of a written article.

CrocoDillon
    Participant

For some things there aren’t so many video options available. And as reference text is better than video :) So I’d say we need both.

chrisburton
    Participant

Very good point, @CrocoDillon!

Anonymous
    Inactive

You should go with a video. Most people remember 90% more from watching a video than from reading text. Using a video takes less time for both you and the user, it’s allot less boring, and it’s easier to create.

__
    Participant

> and it’s easier to create.

I’d agree that it’s easier to hit “record” and do something on your desktop than to sit down and write, but that doesn’t mean you’ll end up with a good video. That’s like mashing your keyboard upside-down against you pillow for a few minutes and expecting to get a quality, five-page explanation of labmda functions.

I’ve done both textual and video tutorials, and I’ve always written a text version first. I usually do videos as demos of how to use certain features, etc., for clients – as you say, it’s “less boring.” For a programming audience, I firmly believe text is *necessary* (if not *better*): it allows more precision, less ambiguity, and it’s easier to refer back to particular parts (especially if you print it).

Cyanoxide
    Participant

I definitely prefer video tutorials/screencasts over the normal text and images format. Not only do I find the information easier to digest when I can see it happening on the screen, I also like the fact that with a screen cast you get an insight on the creators thoughts and opinions giving the tutorial a lot more personality than the alternative. For that reason alone I prefer Videos and can watch them whenever I like, even in my spare time when I’m not working where as I can’t stay interested with text tutorials unless it’s something relevant to what I am currently working on.

theacefes

I prefer text/screenshot based – a combination is ideal. Since I’m doing a tutorial to learn, I’m obviously not going to move as fast as the teacher is in the video. Kind of a pain in the ass to pause and play, pause and play, take a note, pause and play. Any personal opinions the teacher has on a particular subject can be conveyed through text as well.

chrisburton
    Participant

@JoshWhite I’m with you. I’d like to be able to see both a video and text version.

RedStar
    Participant

For me, it depends on the type of tutorial I’m reading, and when/where I’m reading it (video is frowned upon at my office, and if hard to load thanks to the packet shaper).

For design stuff, video usually works better for me. When it’s code, I prefer text. Of course, the ideal is a video tutorial with an accompanying write-up.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.