Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Vertically Center Inline Image

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    akeenlabs
    Participant

Maybe I’m missing something simple, but I can’t seem to find a good way to vertically center an inline image with the rest of the line.

Take this code for example:

This is a regular line of text with a textbox: and maybe a link with an image in it: . And maybe there's a little more text after.

The bottom/baseline of the image lines up with the baseline of the text, as if the image was “sitting” on the same surface as the text itself. I would like the vertical center of the image to match the vertical center of the text (i.e., the middle between the text’s baseline and it’s “text-top”).

It seems like I’ve seen this solution somewhere before, but I’m coming up short finding it again. Any thoughts?

Bob

They invented vertical-align for that.
    Use it like this in your CSS:

img { vertical-align:middle; }
    akeenlabs
    Participant

Yes, I’m well aware of vertical-align, but unfortunately it doesn’t actually center it. Sure, it’s centered based on the line’s x-height, but that’s almost always a couple of pixels off. Try it, you’ll see what I’m talking about.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

I usually use vertical-align: middle;, then position: relative; and top or bottom to adjust it whatever few pixels need jacking.

wholenotes

Vertical-align: middle; works on inline elements. We had to use a negative margin:top.

trick

use display :table property

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.