Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Valid way to target CSS at Safari only?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    daGUY

Does anyone know of a valid way to send certain CSS styles to Safari only?

I’ve been playing around with the new Safari 4 beta and its support for CSS transitions. I added some transitions to my site, but since the property (-webkit-transition) isn’t an approved standard yet, it doesn’t validate. Other than the transitions, the rest of my stylesheet is valid.

Is there a way to apply the -webkit-transition stuff only to Safari, so that I can send 100% valid code to other browsers that can’t display the transitions? All the methods I’ve seen to target Safari rely on invalid hacks, which would be pointless – in that case, I could just send -webkit-transition to all browsers like I am now.

Times like this, I wish conditional comments worked for all browsers :lol:

Don’t worry about it. If the only validation errors are for -webkit or -moz then just let it be. There’s no point in getting anal about validation.

Nobody is going to be checking your site and reporting you to the CSS monitor :mrgreen:

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Dave is exactly right. Really, seriously, don’t worry about it. Validation doesn’t mean anything; it doesn’t affect anything. You should use browser extentions to yours hearts content. That’s what they are there for!

Rob MacKay
    Participant

And just to say – the reason you hear alot about people using validation is mostly because it can be a good way to debug across browsers. Validating can pick out something you overlooked :) Until ALL the browsers *looks at IE* work by the same rule book, then validation is always going to be an issue :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.