Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Using SSH to install Dropbox

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

@DustinWoods Correct. That command just hangs there. I think there might be something I have to do with a CLI script. At least that’s what it talks about in this tutorial.

DustinWoods

Hmm, the line of code is just supposed to create a symlink for Dropbox. When you access Dropbox, do you see the kirby folder?

chrisburton
    Participant

Nope. I don’t see anything but the `Photos` folder.

chrisburton
    Participant

@DustinWoods However, it’s syncing my folder on the server but not to Dropbox: http://cloud.chrisburton.me/Lm7T

chrisburton
    Participant

Got that part. It’s suggesting that I need to update to Python 2.6. How/where do I update that?

DustinWoods

I think if you [head over to the website](http://www.python.org/download/) they should have instructions somewhere.

Wow, you’ve had a lot of hoops to jump through!

chrisburton
    Participant

Tell me about it. I’ve been working on this for several hours now. They should really make this easier for those that have no clue about SSH. Thanks for the link, checking now.

chrisburton
    Participant

I just want to document the error I’m getting.

FINISHED –2012-12-23 19:18:20–
    Downloaded: 1 files, 108K in 0.06s (1.65 MB/s)
    [email protected] [~]# chmod 755 ~/bin/dropbox.py
    [email protected] [~]# ~/bin/dropbox.py help
    File “/home/user/bin/dropbox.py”, line 159
    with open(pidfile, “r”) as f:
    ^
    SyntaxError: invalid syntax

This is what the tutorial states:

`update to Python 2.6 and it will go away. Or better try python2.6 rather than your plain command python as you may already have it installed.`

`NOTE: For CentOS users, use either the EPEL or IUS repo to install the python26. RPM. The package installs Python 2.6 in parallel to the distribution default version. This way YUM will not be effected by the newer version. Once installed update the hash-bang line to refer to /usr/bin/python26 or /usr/bin/python2.6.`

chrisburton
    Participant

Hosting provider won’t upgrade Python.

DustinWoods

What exactly is the python script for? From what I read, it sounds like it just provides command-line support for managing Dropbox. Isn’t there a GUI?

chrisburton
    Participant

This is what I received from my hosting provider:

`Futhermore, I believe Dropbox uses a daemon and needs to be running at all times, which wouldn’t work in a shared hosting environment either. You’d be better off on a VPS if this is something you wanted to run, however I can’t promise that it’s going to run, even on a VPS due to the python versions. It will break some of cPanel’s functionality by upgrading python.`

I’m not sure that is true because Webfaction (a shared hosting provider) allows you to do this. Although, I think they have an upgraded version of Python.

I believe the command I used which received that error above is allowing my files to sync to Dropbox.

This is the tutorial: http://www.dropboxwiki.com/Text_Based_Linux_Install

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.