Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Useful CSS tips

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    daGUY

Thought we could start a thread about some useful CSS tips and techniques, so we can learn from each other :lol:

Here’s my contribution. For the longest time, I never knew that you can actually assign two (or more) classes to the same element. This is useful when you have multiple elements that share a lot of properties, but aren’t exactly identical. Put the common properties in one class, then use the second class for the properties that differ. For example:

HTML:

Code:
    Title
    Subtitle

CSS:

Code:
    .title {color: #000; font-family: verdana; font-weight: bold;}
    .large {font-size: 24px;}
    .small {font-size: 16px;}
    Towers

…or use h1 and h2 (at least in that example).

EDIT: I suppose my point is that using it for titling things is silly when you could just use some css like

Code:
    h1 {font-family:arial}
    h2 {font-family:lucida sans unicode}
    header h1, header h2 {color:#000;}
    content h1, content h2 {color:#cc0000;}

but I am not sure if that is normal or if I am being unsemantic or something.

A better use of multiple class selectors would probably be more easily exemplified with conditional body statements, similar to those used in modular web pages that achieve page-specific navigation appearances.

This tip isn’t actually CSS but JavaScript and relates to separating web layers effectively.
    Consider content hidden and displayed via JavaScript something like:

Code:
    Show

.hidden {display:none}

The problem occurs when Javascript is unavailable, the content will never be able to display.

To circumvent the issue add this straight after the page title in the HTML and not in a separate file:

Code:

It adds a class of .hasJS to the html tag but only if JavaScript is available.

Now change the .hidden declaration to:

Code:
    .hasJS .hidden {display:none}

Now the content will only be hidden if both JavaScript and CSS are available.
    An important accessibility consideration.
    Because it’s hidden as the page is built so there’s no flash of hidden content as JavaScript affects page elements.

regards

mike foskett

dag
    "daGUY" wrote:
    Here’s a cool way to send different values to IE6 and Firefox for the same property:

Hi daGUY.
    For IE6, I use the following hack; is very similar to yours …

Code:
    div {
    height: 200px !important;
    height/**/: 150px;
    }
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.