Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

update: your opinion

• # December 29, 2008 at 1:36 pm

hey everyone,

I got my site and I was happy with it, but as it is christmas time and there is not much happening for me, I thought a small change might be in order.

here is my site as it is just now:
    http://www.honeycomb-web.co.uk/index.html

here is my redesign:
    http://www.honeycomb-web.co.uk/new_index.html

it is basic, there is not much content on the main page, but I was kind of looking for a change, I might not totally do it, I am only playing just now

your opinions, and criticisms are all welcome

Rob
    # December 29, 2008 at 1:52 pm

yea Christmas really screws up the routine eh :)

I think thats a brilliant example of how just restyling can bring a new feel to a site. It scales nicely too :) I think I like it a little more than the other one though, I think the black frames it nicely.

nice work :)

# December 29, 2008 at 1:55 pm
    "Robskiwarrior" wrote:
    yea Christmas really screws up the routine eh :)

I think thats a brilliant example of how just restyling can bring a new feel to a site. It scales nicely too :) I think I like it a little more than the other one though, I think the black frames it nicely.

nice work :)

so, in your opinion, the second one is better?
    I made it with % for the most and only a couple of px for height &/or width

the only problem is 800×600 res as the navigation buttons go underneath the main image, but I don’t think that is too big a deal, I might change the buttons for the nav to be smaller to compensate though

# December 29, 2008 at 2:38 pm

I also like the change but would love to see a max-width on there. I just think the content spreads out too wide on a larger monitor.

# December 29, 2008 at 2:46 pm
    "TheDoc" wrote:
    I also like the change but would love to see a max-width on there. I just think the content spreads out too wide on a larger monitor.

a bit like what I changed?

# December 29, 2008 at 2:50 pm
    "ikthius" wrote:

You betcha.

If it were me, I’d probably go even more, but I think that’s just getting down to personal preference on how I want to read things on the web.

# December 29, 2008 at 2:56 pm
    "TheDoc" wrote:
    "ikthius" wrote:

You betcha.

If it were me, I’d probably go even more, but I think that’s just getting down to personal preference on how I want to read things on the web.

I know what you mean,

I had that with the old one, and I noticed it just looked a bit small on larger resolutions.

glad its to your liking.

# December 29, 2008 at 3:50 pm

I don’t know what is happening but IE does not like my max-width & now hates the image of the comps, as IE wont show it.

I can refresh the page, it shows the image then it disappears

# December 29, 2008 at 3:56 pm

Yes, IE does not approve of min/max widths.

http://snipplr.com/view/318/minmaxwidth-fix-for-ie6/
    http://codesnippets.joyent.com/posts/show/963

Part of the reason why I never go with a fluid site. I always find it has too many hiccups to accomplish exactly what I want in multiple browser sizes.

# December 29, 2008 at 4:19 pm

I just made it 850px no min or max.

and that brought it all back.

God I hate IE

Rob
    # December 29, 2008 at 6:58 pm

Yes I like the re-designed one, I like the way the black frames the content, and highlights your logo and the menu.

I agree with the max-width – if you could get that working it would be great :D

# December 30, 2008 at 5:23 am
    "Robskiwarrior" wrote:
    Yes I like the re-designed one, I like the way the black frames the content, and highlights your logo and the menu.

I agree with the max-width – if you could get that working it would be great :D

here is a nice wee hack for IE and the rest:

Code:
    min-width:700px;
    max-width:850px;
    _width:700px;

I read that good browsers will respect the max & min widths, but ie does not, so to let all good browsers work on the correct code add it in, then add in your width but with _ preceding.

this is ignored by all other browsers but ie cannot see the _ so thinks it is just width.

tested on:
    IE8 800×600, 1024×768, 1280×1024
    FF3 800×600, 1024×768, 1280×1024
    Safari 800×600, 1024×768, 1280×1024
    Opera 800×600, 1024×768, 1280×1024
    Chrome 800×600, 1024×768, 1280×1024

Rob
    # December 30, 2008 at 6:21 am

awesome! :D

# December 30, 2008 at 2:38 pm

Yea, I’ve used that little trick a few times, although I’m sure it makes the CSS file non-compliant. But who knows what that really means anymore…

We strive so hard for this validation, sometimes I’m not sure if it’s worth it.

# December 30, 2008 at 2:42 pm
    "TheDoc" wrote:
    Yea, I’ve used that little trick a few times, although I’m sure it makes the CSS file non-compliant. But who knows what that really means anymore…

We strive so hard for this validation, sometimes I’m not sure if it’s worth it.

I know what you mean, but as long as it works and kind of the same in all browsers, I think screw validation.

it is useful to find errors, but thats about it nowadays

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".