Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Unique WordPress pages

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Digitalbrit

Hi All

First thanks to Chris for the great series of WordPress screencasts recently – a big inspiration to us all.

My question is how to approach coding different page layouts across a WordPress site. I can see from the themes three types of pages: index, page and single, but what if you want something that doesn’t fall into one of those types.

An example of what I am talking about is http://www.woothemes.com/demo/proudfolio/. What I think I am seeing is the home page, portfolio and about pages are all unique and then there is the blog. I don’t see how these differing layouts map to just the three types of index, page and single. Presumably they don’t, so …

My next question is how do you integrate an additional page layout into a WordPress theme (additional to index, page and single). I can envisage coding the new page in php but where in WordPress do you say I want to use this new php page for a particular WordPress page?

Any pointers would be a great help.

Cheers
    Tim

Digitalbrit

How cool is that. Cheers Toby.

Does anyone else do this differently?

pab

When you write a new page in wordpress go to ‘page templates’ at the bottom

I can’t find this

pab

cool figured it out,

Thanks for posting this Tob
    :D

pab
    "Digitalbrit" wrote:
    How cool is that. Cheers Toby.

Does anyone else do this differently?

I’ve only been messing around with wp for a couple of weeks now and the one way I did it was to create and my own includes and feed them to the page I wanted to alter.

worked great.

the one drawback is you have to edit the page using the theme editor, it’s ok for someone who knows what they’re doing but not for a client who just wants a simple wisiwig to update their pages

Digitalbrit

Tob, this is making sense now. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to answer this fully – its really appreciated and given me heaps to play with now.

Pab, yeah I was going down the includes route but was having difficulty figuring out how to detect the page type. I basically missed the point that you can have different templates which you link at page definition time. Doh!

Cheers
    Tim

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.