Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

understand the code, but crap at designing.. help!!

  • # February 16, 2009 at 4:26 am

    Hi, I have a good understanding of how to code in xhtml and css, but designing for the web is not my strong suit. By this i mean, actually making a site in photoshop, before coding it.

    If anyone could share any life experiences, tip or tricks, internet resources and anything else relating to web design. Your professional advice is appreciated =].

    I would really like to become a better designer, because in the end that is what is selling the website.

    Thanks

    Nathan

    Rob
    # February 17, 2009 at 11:32 am
    "eshhy" wrote:
    Hi, I have a good understanding of how to code in xhtml and css, but designing for the web is not my strong suit. By this i mean, actually making a site in photoshop, before coding it.

    If anyone could share any life experiences, tip or tricks, internet resources and anything else relating to web design. Your professional advice is appreciated =].

    I would really like to become a better designer, because in the end that is what is selling the website.

    Thanks

    Nathan

    Hey :)

    Well the thing is about design, you either have the ability to do it or you don’t – its not something to be worried about… what I mean is design is like artistic skill, you have to have the ability to start with. So if you dont think you have the ability, don’t bother because you probably wont succseed. Now if you are an arty farty type of person, its simply just learning the tools to help you realise your goal.

    So if you have the ability and just need to learn the tools… http://psdtuts.com/ is an awesome starting point.

    If you dont have the ability dont dismay! There are loads of people who need a coder mind (like me lol), So focus on what you are good at, and remeber the value of yourself as a coder might be worth more than trying to ware too many hats – as to say… :)

    # February 17, 2009 at 8:11 pm

    Hey

    Thanks for the advice mate. What you said made a lot of sense to me. I guess I will keep at the coding side, and leave the design to someone that has the natural ability huh.

    The interesting thing is that with the coding side, there is a set way to do it with all the tutorials you would ever need. Where as the artty side is kinda the opposite.

    Anyways thanks

    Nathan

    Rob
    # February 18, 2009 at 5:01 am
    "eshhy" wrote:
    Hey

    Thanks for the advice mate. What you said made a lot of sense to me. I guess I will keep at the coding side, and leave the design to someone that has the natural ability huh.

    The interesting thing is that with the coding side, there is a set way to do it with all the tutorials you would ever need. Where as the artty side is kinda the opposite.

    Anyways thanks

    Nathan

    Dude, dont ever under estimate your skill… If it wasnt for people like you we wouldnt have anything to hang graphics on… which is pretty much all we do!

    Don’t resign yourself to the fact that "oh im just a coder"… turn it round, your skill is just as valuble (if not more) as one who designs stuff! There are lots of people who need coders, and they pay coders more because, lets be honest, a good coder is a lot harder to come by than a designer :D lol. Plus lots of people think they can design, because its all pictures and colours – code scares the crap out of most.

    So grab your skills and make some awesome applications, because without coders, designers are just arty farty… lol

    OH and please hang around here, we need coders to help us designers out with our bad code LOL :D

    # February 19, 2009 at 12:54 pm

    I am the exact opposite, often times i design something in photoshop and clueless on how to code it. What usually happens is that I usually tone down the design and end up with some really really basic :(

    learning code has never been my strong suit -

    Rob
    # February 19, 2009 at 7:37 pm
    "ganzon" wrote:
    I am the exact opposite, often times i design something in photoshop and clueless on how to code it. What usually happens is that I usually tone down the design and end up with some really really basic :(

    learning code has never been my strong suit -

    and thats exactly why we all need each other :D

    # February 20, 2009 at 2:10 am

    I believe I’m the same way. I can understand the code and why stuff works and such but can design to save my life. I have given up on a lot of PSD designs for my website because drawing on paper is a lot easier for me than using Photoshop. But I do like creating and following along on sites like psdtuts and then coding them.

    # February 20, 2009 at 2:55 pm
    "eshhy" wrote:
    Hey

    Thanks for the advice mate. What you said made a lot of sense to me. I guess I will keep at the coding side, and leave the design to someone that has the natural ability huh.

    The interesting thing is that with the coding side, there is a set way to do it with all the tutorials you would ever need. Where as the artty side is kinda the opposite.

    Anyways thanks

    Nathan

    Nathan,

    I am completely opposite of you. I know design very well and it’s something that comes easy for me. I love to just design sites day in and day out. They look swell but are useless unless they arrive to their destination of the web. Consequently, many of my "swell" designs have not been used for this very reason. So, I’d love to help you out as much as I can regarding design. I do agree it’s sorta of a innate talent, if you will. Some people do have it and some do not. That’s not to say with perseverance you couldn’t become a trained designer. I say "trained" because even I have to train myself to the new trends and styles that are consistently changing as I’m sure you have to train yourself to the new standards that are being agreed upon for coding etc.

    One site I’ve used in the past was tutvid.com This guy is really good at explaining the basics. Another site for more of learning effects in PS is pslover.com That’s two that I can think of right off hand. I’d love to fill you in with more.

    "The interesting thing is that with the coding side, there is a set way to do it with all the tutorials you would ever need. Where as the artty side is kinda the opposite." <–I find this to be quite the opposite, so perhaps you could fill me in on some sites. I also posted a topic much like yours TODAY but with the reversal of your problem.

    Hope this helps and I look forward to your response!

    Rob
    # February 20, 2009 at 7:04 pm

    swenson is right – the only way you will find out is if you push yourself :)

    In reply to Swenson, kinda off topic – you know you could sell your designs on Theme Forest as PSD files… just a thought if you want to make some cash with some site designs you have lying around…

    http://themeforest.net/

    :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".